The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my question is can I just swap out my a/c compressor on my 2012 f-250 6.7 , the clutch/pulley just started going bad on it last couple days it’s only 1yr old , can I swap out compressor n take it to garage to charge it

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
You can't just pull the compressor without reclaiming the refrigerant. You would be much better off replacing just the clutch. But- you need to figure out why it failed so soon. It should have lasted for a couple hundred thousand miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Compressor clutches seem to be a problem in the earlier model years of this generation of trucks. As mentioned, you will need to reclaim the refrigerant in the system first and yes, then have it charged. I agree that if just the clutch or the pulley bearing has failed they are serviceable without replacing the compressor. However, most of the time I have had to replace the entire assembly because of damage to the compressor shaft ot the pulley bearing spun on the housing rendering the compressor junk.

Second bit of advice, ALL Ford and Motorcraft parts sold over the counter come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty which covers parts AND labor therefore if your compressor is just 1 year old you could simply take your truck and your receipt to your favorite Ford dealer and just let them repair it for you!

See the attached Parts warranty statement for details.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts