The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellow diesel dudes!

The A/C in my 03 F250 PowerStroke has a freon leak. That I know. I've been charging it for the year that I had it. Usually lasts the entire season. I charged it first in March, then again a few weeks ago. The issue is, it really doesn't start blowing COLD for about 20 minutes. Throughout my drive, its "cool" but around the 15-20 minute mark or so is when it starts getting COLD. Any thoughts on this one?

Its a beautiful day! Go get you some diesel fumes my fellow diesel dudes!

-Erick

·
Premium Member
599 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,671 Posts
Not sure if the leak is responsible...... but assuming it has enough of a charge this (attachment) made a big difference in my truck! It use to take a long time to get really cold, not it puts out really cold air quick.

https://www.dieselsite.com/maxacassistaccontrolvalvefor1994-200373l.aspx

His 03 should have come stock with a heater valve. Check your air gap. Have you ever leaked down to zero psi? Wish you would find your leak and fix it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If you are charging with a store bought can with single gauge and relying on the green band on gauge then it is likely not fully charged. You also have to have engine at 1200 rpm or so to get compressor flow to a level where the gauge pressures will be useable.
No location is listed so I have no idea how hot it is where you are. If the truck is hot inside and you start it and set a stick on pedal to get it to fast idle, and blower is on at least 3/4 speed, windows closed, recirculated air, and then go check temp of suction line back to compressor from accumulator it will be cool but not super chilly. If you then go turn blower to low and recheck it will be much colder.

The outside temp, interior temp, engine speed, and blower speed all affect orifice tube a/c systems as there is no refrigerant flow regulation, only a brass tube acting as the jet. The pressure varies widely depending on the listed factors. If I top up one of these systems then I do the fast idle and start feeling lines as well as watching gauge pressures. It is fully charged when high blower speed gives me good cooling on low side line with pressure in the mid 30's and then if I turn blower to low speed and it will drop to 22-24 psi and compressor cycles off in a minute or so with the low side line damned cold, even frosting a wee bit just before it cycles off. If overcharged the pressure will be reluctant to go low enough to cycle off with interior cooled down and low blower. If not fully charged then the low side line will not be very chilled at all with warm interior/high blower. When fully charged there is still enough liquid refrigerant still boiling in low side to cool it down some.
If it is an EX with rear air then it gets more complicated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts