The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a couple weird problems with my '93. I had a firefighting unit in the rear all last summer. It got driven about once a week. After last summer it sat for a few month on a trickle charger. I finally decided to take out the firefighting stuff a couple months ago so I could use the truck for other stuff. At that time it wouldn't turn over. It started to spin then seemed to jam up. I finally got it started. I suspected it was hydro locked because I've noticed that water collects on top of the air cleaner and I always worried it'd peak around the air cleaner stud. So it started and ran fine since then and we've hauled hay with it a couple weeks ago. I went to start it after it sat for a couple weeks and it wouldn't turn over, it spun like half a turn and jammed up. I put silicone around the wing nut on the air cleaner so if it is leaking that'll never happen again. I waited like a week and a half for the water to seep out of the cylinder, if that's what it was. I've had hydro locked diesel engines before and did this, it'll go through the rings if you let them sit. So yesterday I went out and started it. Turned over nice and fast, started up and ran rough for about 20 seconds then smoothed out. I ran it for a few minutes and shut it down. Went to start it today to go haul hay and I let the glow plugs heat and it cranked real fast but didn't emediatley start so I tried to reheat the glow plugs and I could hear repeated rapid clicking under the hood (my "wait to start" light doesn't work, I normally can hear it click off) I tried starting it again and it didn't want to fire but I gave it full throttle and it ultimately started but I don't think the glow plugs were helping at all.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give every detail. Does anybody have any idea what's going on with it? I'm not 100% sure it even was hydro locked. Not sure if that's related to the glow plugs problem now.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How is water getting under the hood? I would absolutely fix the glow plug light so you can at least see if the plugs are heating up. Masybe yiu have a injector leaking. Check the oil. if it looks like a milkshake than you have water. If it smells like diesel than you may have a stuck injector.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is odd that water gets under the hood but if it has rained and I open the hood there's standing water on the air cleaner. I wondered if an injector could be somehow flooding the engine when it's parked? Sometimes it will run rough and shake for a few seconds when I start it up, no unusual smoke though. I always thought it was a lifter that had bled out. Could that be an injector? Other than this it runs great. I just got home I put about 80 miles on it today. Slightly slow to start in the morning then runs and starts great all day.
My wait to start light has been off and on for a couple years. I can hear the relay click so I just listen for that and this has always been the fastest starting IDI I've ever seen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I said slow to start I didn't mean slow to turn over, I meant it didn't want to fire. My batteries are less than a year old and it's been on a trickle charger when not being driven. Starter was new 2 years ago. This is the fastest I've ever seen this engine spin.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If you did have a hydro lock, then you might have broken some rings when it wedged up against the head and piston. Unless it's just burned out in the dash, the wait to start light isn't that hard of a fix. Might just fix your hard starting trouble too. The rapid clicking is probably one or two burned out glow plugs. Check them to a good ground with an ohmmeter, they should read around .2 ohms after the truck has been sitting for at least over night and before you try to start it. I usually only replace the ones that check bad. That would be your decision. The open, or opening glow plugs will cause the controller to "short cycle" which is what you're hearing with the rapid clicking. While you're in there check for a black wire with a round plug that might have broken, or come unplugged. That's the WTS light. It'll be coming out of the controller, and going back to the fire wall. You'll probably have to pull the air cleaner to get to it. To stop the leak from rain, replace the weather strip between the hood, and top cowl at the fire wall. That's about the only place rain can run down onto the air cleaner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you did have a hydro lock, then you might have broken some rings when it wedged up against the head and piston. Unless it's just burned out in the dash, the wait to start light isn't that hard of a fix. Might just fix your hard starting trouble too. The rapid clicking is probably one or two burned out glow plugs. Check them to a good ground with an ohmmeter, they should read around .2 ohms after the truck has been sitting for at least over night and before you try to start it. I usually only replace the ones that check bad. That would be your decision. The open, or opening glow plugs will cause the controller to "short cycle" which is what you're hearing with the rapid clicking. While you're in there check for a black wire with a round plug that might have broken, or come unplugged. That's the WTS light. It'll be coming out of the controller, and going back to the fire wall. You'll probably have to pull the air cleaner to get to it. To stop the leak from rain, replace the weather strip between the hood, and top cowl at the fire wall. That's about the only place rain can run down onto the air cleaner.
Thanks. I think I have a shop manual. I'll get around to it soon. I drove it the other day about 70° weather and it started fine. With warm weather upon us it'll be hard to tell if I have a problem or not.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
You already know that you have a hard cold start. Now you check it out. Just because it starts in warm weather doesn't mean it's right. If the problem started in warm weather, you might not know it until the cold weather gets here, but it happened during cold weather and showed itself, so fix it, or you'll be standing out there in the cold trying to fix it next winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts