The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**1995**

My schrader valve on the high-side test port is not sealing. I've changed this #*^% thing once before for the same reason.

I'm leaving my quick-coupler on for now, but I suspect it will slow leak my refrigerant out.

Is there a quick fix for this - other than to suck out the refrigerant and replace the port?

-------

BTW...the new compressor I installed last week shucked its' guts, spread metal throughout.

That cost me an additional filter/dryer, orifice tube, $40 worth of flush stuff, oil, refrigerant charge, and several hours.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Did you look at the pic? You have to remove the valve core, which will dump all the refrigerant in a few seconds. You'd better have fast hands...

And that kit won't work on original Ford service valves with a rubber ball.

Your new compressor probably grenaded because of too much refrigerant, or the oil not being distributed through the system.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, you're correct...the service port must be removed to repair a leak. I had to order the part. You may also be correct on the oil/overchareg...or maybe the compressor was just a chinese-made POS??

So I'm suckin' out the system as we speak.

Autozone sells a compressor now with a lifetime warranty - they've never offered that warranty in the past. To get the lifetime warranty, you must replace the filter/dryer and orifice tube also. I had done all that, so A-Z replaced all three parts under warranty for me.

I've owned the truck since new, and this is the sixth compressor I've had to replace. I had one once before that only lasted two days.

There's nothing like 108 degree day to make one appreciate a working A/C system.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've owned the truck since new, and this is the sixth compressor I've had to replace.
Does that mean YOU did the work all 6 times? If so... :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does that mean YOU did the work all 6 times? If so... :icon_rolleyes:

Ha! About half and half, if memory serves me.

The two-day fix was a local mechanic, a dealership fix lasted 14 months.

If you take out the two immediate failures, I'm averaging a 5 year life on a compressor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts