The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HVAC fan started moaning like a sick cow last week while we were 500 km away from home. Fortunately it was intermittent and for most of the trip silent. So I ordered another fridge magnet from Rock Auto and they kindly included a new blower motor.

What brain dead moron drawing pay from FoMoCo thought it was a good idea to locate two identical connectors 6 inches apart on 6 inch pigtails coming out of the same wire loom? I pulled the vacuum pump in order to get the blower out and at the same time disconnected the low side AC pressure sensor and the vacuum pump connections. I put the new fan in, hooked everything up, gave it a quick try, all is good. Next day - no cold air on the AC and the blow is coming exclusively from the defrost slots. W T F? They say confession is good for the soul so this is a confession that I had crossed the 2 above named wire connections. No harm done - at least none that is yet apparent. Not too much troubleshooting involved. But who does that? Like who? I've got 2 Motorcraft connector books - there must be easily 100 options for 2 wire connectors that Ford routinely uses - what moron puts 2 identical connectors that close together?

All the troubles in this world can be traced to a lawyer or an engineer if you dig deep enough.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
While I am a 35 year Ford technician and have seen some really ass-backward design, but this, in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal. If only I could recall all of my W.T.F! moments! LOL!!!

So I ordered another fridge magnet from Rock Auto and they kindly included a new blower motor.
Aside from what I stated above I do appreciate your sense of humor! :D

Reactions: Greg687

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I’ve been known to put matching colored plastic zip ties on plugs, even ones that aren’t the same type of plug style-🙄 and on the hydraulic lines for farm implements on the tractor quick connect fittings, Lol

·
Super Moderator
26,600 Posts
Being an Engineer, although not in the Automotive field. I try to do things that make sense, although I will admit having made a few dumb decisions. Like once failing to plug in the engine harness and wonder why it wouldn't start. :(

I too have bought quite a few Rockauto fridge magnets, along with their free parts. :LOL:

But in the Automotive industry, I blame lots of screw-ups on the bean counters, not necessarily engineers and lawyers.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like once failing to plug in the engine harness and wonder why it wouldn't start. :(
Little known fact: a 6 litre will run on the driver side bank only. I know because I managed to twist an injector harness once while installing a new one. It didn't start easily but it ran remarkably smoothly. It did however generate a prodigious amount of smoke in fairly short order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I blame the robots that put them together alot. No way in hell a person could put some of these parts together efficiently. Or was there a person present as something went together to realize it's gonna be a nightmare to take apart and repair.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
The people that work on vehicles have cursed the engineer that designed the vehicle as long as there have been vehicles on the road.

I have always said that if the engineer had to actually work on the vehicle that they designed that they would build them completely different and I am sure they would add quite a bit to the cost of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts