The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Its time to pull the engine out of my truck. The oil leak has gotten out of control at the dipstick.
But the main problem is the smoke. A few years back I put a set of single shot injectors in and the truck has never ran right, so I'll be ordering a set of stage 2 split shots from swamps, but is it really going to fix my problem?
At any temperature under 60 degrees the truck pours white smoke. Cylinders 2,4,8 are all dead for a good 15 minutes of idling. Now Cylinder 3 has decided to jump on the warm up band wagon dropping my idling rpms down to 400. Once warmed up the truck runs fine with the exception rapid rpm gain causing backfire and white smoke for a second. Pretty sure the fuel filter is much darker than it should be which makes you think theres an oring leaking, but the duty cycle is at only 9% with injector pressure at 500psi at idle. Touch the gas duty cycle jumps to 19% and ICP peaks at 3500 and holds at 2700psi. seems normal to me. Either way out it comes in 3 weeks. any help in this smoking issue would be great before I throw to many parts at the truck

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I thought white smoke meant a glow plug issue? or burning coolant?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Does sound like a glow plug issue. But I know my single shots don't like to idle below 587psi. Jody had it at the stock 487 for smoothness and noise, but it would surge trying to stay lit, so we gradually brought it up until the happy zone at 587. Back fire is odd. Never seen that on a diesel. Timing is set, shouldn't move. Tried an different CPS? Just for a test, try starting it cold with the ICP sensor unplugged. And look up the hard start thread. I'd try that stuff first before the pull. Dipstick is fixable with engine in. There are a couple kits available, one being a complete replacement piece that is guaranteed to work, but cost a fortune for what it is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its coming out either way. Got a pile of problems to sort through. Power steering is junk, going on the third steering gear, autozone garbage. Ordering a red head. Looking for a better pump but have came up empty. Got a ceramic button clutch pack sitting here cause I'm tired of the slip. Everything freaking leaks. Got fuel pouring out of the bowl, needs the 202s put in, oils running down the pan, Power steering fluid is leaking, got a nuisance coolant leak that only shows up when Im not looking. My driveway looks like the Exxon Valdez ran ashore there. I figure tossing $3000.00 under the hood still comes cheaper than a new truck payment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts