The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 F250 Crew Cab Lariat
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched this but cannot come up with a definite diagnosis. The clutch is noisy and not engaging.
The gap is correct. When the engine is running it tries to engage every 20 seconds or so but doesn't make it.
Is the clutch bad and should I just replace it?

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Your description of the issue isn't real clear but based on what I think is happening, the first thing you should do is check your A/C system pressure. I'm guessing the low pressure switch is cycling your compressor clutch.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch is making a loud squeaky sound when the engine is running (with or without the AC turned on)--loud enough I can hear it in the cab.
When I hit the AC button and go out and look at the clutch it tries to go in and engage but doesn't lock in. It tries to do this every 15 seconds or so. It never locks in.
I checked the gap and it is within spec.
Because the clutch is noisy my first take is that it is not low on Freon and the clutch is bad. I didn't want to take it in and have the pressure checked if it was a bad clutch.
I assume the low pressure switch cycles the clutch when the AC button is turned on? If so, the clutch shouldn't be "screaming" if the AC is not on right?
Maybe it is both?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would say it was both. I'd be surprised if the "on and off" WASN'T caused by the low pressure switch. The squeak is probably bearings inside the compressor. Get a "charge" kit and try to check the pressure/charge it yourself.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is the compressor, does the system need to be evacuated and re-charged when you replace the compressor?

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
You may have two issues. If the gap is correct and it squeals when the A/C is off, you have a bad bearing in the pulley. That needs to be fixed first. You don't have to open the system to change a pulley bearing.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking. Can I just buy and replace the pulley?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts