The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 F250 Lariat

When I first start my truck it only blows hot air with AC on. Only starts blowing cold after I start moving the truck. I know this is a symptom of a bad condenser fan. I can't seem to locate a condenser fan. Is it possibly the fan clutch? Truck doesn't overheat at idle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
condenser fan is your radiator fan. There is an electric fan clutch that will lock up the fly swatter up there. Ford has been using the electric fan clutch since the early 2000s. They are reliable but will fail over time, my 04 failed after like 12 years of use. It did give me an error code though when scanning for DTCs.

Your issue is most likely an electrical one. Some stupid computer sensor that isnt communicating to lock the fan clutch or dash sensor touch screen auto sensing motion detection bluetooth sync 3 body control module.

If you have forscan, hook in and see what you can see. otherwise its a dealer visit for you.

I have noticed in my 19 that the fan clutch engages at low speed and will disengage as the speed increases with the AC on. My old 04 did not do that. I do feel that the AC is kind of lacking on this new 19 compared to other vehicles i own. I chalk it up as the cab is larger than the living room in my house and the glass area in this truck is more than most peoples homes, lol. I've been too lazy to throw my digital meat thermometer in the center vent to see what its discharging but with the 4,000F weather and dewpoints in the 90s around here lately, it keeps the cab comfee and no complaints from peeps so i've let it be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a scan tool. This thing is really goofy. Last couple of weeks comes on when driving. Blows normal air first starting or after idlefor a while. Not hot air just not chilled. For the last 3 days it has been working perfectly in the hottest temperatures of the year. 110-plus. Seems like it must be a sensor. The evaporator temperature sensor or the cabin air sensor. Otherwise I'm lost. Don't really want to take it to the dealer because I know they're just going to throw parts at it. Been down that road too many times

·
Registered
121 Posts
what package do you have?

mines an XL - surprised it even came with AC, lol. I have manual controls, yes an actual AC button I have to push, lol. No dual temp control just your boss standard old school manual buttons and one dial.

If you have the auto temp feature I bet your zone temp sensor is not working properly. If the computer can't sense what the cabin temp is it won't engage the blend door or something. If you don't want to go to the dealer then your stuck trouble shooting on your own. Start testing scenarios, at idle with both zones cold, measure the center vent temp. Then put one zone warmer etc etc. Maybe you'll find a scenario where the ac works and when it doesn't, this will help the stealership out with trouble shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts