The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I've read and read where my 1999 F350 AC system should have 42oz of Freon (there is a TSB floating around that says use 44oz) but I'm good on that amount to use says 42 on the body. (I will be weighing it)

The Big question is the oil amount (I've read too many articles to count and seen 9oz total over and over) but the instructions from the Ford new AC compressor appear to contradict this total? Under the hood says Max charge 9oz. Also, the new Motorcraft condenser is a new style and I wonder what if any effect that would have on the total?
The unit says it comes with 7oz already.
See attached instructions. I'm replacing the whole system and it would seem if I follow the instructions I'd end up with 14.5oz or so?? See part 4,5 & 6

If replacing the Evaporator add 1.5oz + removed amount
If replacing Condensor add 2oz + removed amount
If replacing dryer add 2oz + removed amount
If replacing Hoses add 2oz + removed amount

Confused as Hell :oops:
Travis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
Here's where part of the confusion lies. Oil is soluble in the refrigerant. If you do a service where you have to reclaim the refrigerant, you lose a certain amount of oil - somewhere between 1.5-2 ounces. So, if you have to pull the condensing coil, you lose about 2 ounces of dissolved oil plus the residual oil that was trapped in the condenser. If you have to replace the hoses, you lose that dissolved oil, but really no trapped residual. Etc. If you only are going to pull the refrigerant out once, you don't have to add it back multiple times. The total capacity from the factory is 9 ounces. That's all you need to put in. Make sure it is the correct weight. Motorcraft YN-12-C or a good quality PAG 46

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, that clears up the confusion! thanks for your help RT!!! I was hoping you'd respond since I have read all of your AC posts and take that knowledge as coming from the bible! :)

Travis

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI,

Ordered a Ford condenser for my AC system vs an aftermarket one which is also a “Parallel Flow” condenser like the aftermarket ones you see vs the older style “Tube and Fin” I had wondered if the change in design had an effect on R134a charge and sure enough according to the instruction included shown below there is a significate reduction freon recommended.
My 1999 calls for 2lbs 8oz or (40 oz) and with this new condenser it calls for 2.15lbs or (34.4 oz)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
I’d be surprised if your stock was a tube and fin. Those went out with R12 in the 80s. This may be a new and improved design with a smaller capacity. Can you post the model number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think you're right, not sure if it’s a true tube and fin design but it appears as a "parallel flow tube and fin"?
Part I bought on RockAuto is Motorcraft (YJ594) (#6C3Z19712AB)

Here are some pics from wife's truck that was like mine and the web since I'm redoing mine and already got rid of the old one.... Hopefully this weekend I got it all done, last weekend I moved extra tranny cooler behind the condenser since it was out and changed out my radiator for one with a (water to oil) cooler since my 99 never had one... :(, bought a Spectrum on Amazon and they sent the wrong one... so there was an extra delay... like the online prices but the hassle of sending stuff back sucks and takes time.
Rightside.png

web_pic.png
web_pic1.png
web_pic2.png

condenser_sticker.png

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
A true tube and fin has one long continuous tube. All the refrigerant flows through the entire length of the tube. The parallel tube design has headers. The picture you took on the passenger side shows those headers. It's just set up so the intake and output headers are on the same side and those loops you see on the driver's side is what allows each incoming tube to turn around and get back to the outgoing tube.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-4, makes sense, the new is smaller and I guess more efficient requiring less freon.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI, pics of the new "microchannel" design with wavey fins vs tubes "spiny" fins

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a followup, 34.4 oz nailed the numbers and I was getting about 46 +/- at the vent
At 86 degrees

My not so pro setup...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts