The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L & 1986 F250 6.9L Dually
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 F-250 XLT 7.3L that has a power drain. In search of the issue I have found that the drivers power seat, the power mirrors, locks, and the power windows all have power when key is off. I pulled all relays (one by one) in the engine box and under the steering wheel and still never lost power. Could this be a BCM (Body Control Module) issue? Anyone run into this issue?

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Your accessory delay relay may be fused. It’s integral to the instrument cluster. Circuit Board Medics can repair it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: PhatNasty

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
Locks would always be powered. If they were only powered with the key on, you couldn't unlock your doors with the fob.
I'm pretty sure all those functions are continuously powered to the switch. I'll go check the wiring diagram and report back. Your '99 has a GEM (General Electronics Module), not a BCM - pretty much the same function but that's the terminology that Ford used back then.

The Accessory Delay Relay is not in the instrument panel on a '99-'01 truck, it's in the Central Junction Box (under dash). But even if it was fused closed, as long as you weren't operating the switch for the Power Windows, there would be no power draw. Power Windows are powered by a 30A circuit breaker (#25) in the Battery Junction Box (under hood.)
Power seats are also continuously powered thru Fuse #18 (30A) in the BJB. With the seat switch in neutral position, no power is consumed. They don't run thru the ADR.
Power mirrors also continuously powered thru Fuse #4(10A) in the CJB (not thru the ADR). Again, switch in neutral - no power draw.
My Service DVD is flaking out, so I can't see the diagram for Power locks in the pickup, but in the Excursion, they're powered by a fuse hot at all times and not thru the ADR.

So the action you're seeing is normal (except maybe the Power Windows) that do go thru the ADR.

I think your battery drain is coming from somewhere else. You'll have to pull fuses with an ammeter connected inline with the battery feed to see what's up.

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L & 1986 F250 6.9L Dually
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not for sure if my 99 has a delay relay. My radio always shuts off with the key and my instrument cluster has the manual odometer. I haven't tried switching out the ignition switch yet. I figured once I start hanging parts I will start there.

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
It's not the ignition switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts