The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I've read and re-read all the posts regarding the use of 2 cycle oil added to the fuel. Well yesterday following a fill up I decided to give it a try to see if I would begin seeing some of results that others had seen. Well didn't notice anything right away after adding it and during the drive home, about 10-15 miles after adding. However when I fired the truck up this morning to let it warm up, it was blowing thick white smoke like a steam locomotive chugging up a steep grade. Now mind you, I've never had any issues with the truck smoking when the weathers cold until now, with temps as low as the mid-teens. This mornings temp was 34 degrees.

I'm hoping I didn't cause a problem. I decided to make the drive into work with the truck, hoping that maybe the smoke would lessen or maybe even stop all together, no luck even after the truck reached it normal running temperature, although the truck wasn't running outside the norm since I've owned it. She's a smooth running rig altogether, no rough starts or anything , just the thick white smoke now.

Now I'm thinking "did I add the right stuff as far as 2 cycle oil goes ?" I bought and added SuperTech 2 cycle oil at the local Wal-Mart however it was Marine Oil, non-synthetic and that was all I could find for 2 cycle oil.

Is this the right stuff to be using ? If so, has anyone else experienced this after trying the method ? I hoping that I haven't opened up a can of worms by doing this and that I don't need to take the truck in for service and repairs.

I also checked the coolant levels in the radiator and reservoir after the truck cooled as well as the dip stick once I got to work, all levels are fine and the oil looks good, not milky. Started the truck again, same thing. Checked the tailpipe to see if I'm making water or steam, no just the smoke and it has a strong smell like diesel fuel . I also don't believe it's the fuel itself because I've always used the fuel from this station since I bought the rig, and I'm on my 4th tank. No problem until now.

Sorry for the length of this post . Any help, comments and recommendations are appreciated. Do I need to think about draining my fuel tank ? I hope not ...

R/,

Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
How much oil did you add? IIRC it is supposed to be 1 ounce to 1 gallon. We can start there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Greetings All,

I've read and re-read all the posts regarding the use of 2 cycle oil added to the fuel. Well yesterday following a fill up I decided to give it a try to see if I would begin seeing some of results that others had seen. Well didn't notice anything right away after adding it and during the drive home, about 10-15 miles after adding. However when I fired the truck up this morning to let it warm up, it was blowing thick white smoke like a steam locomotive chugging up a steep grade. Now mind you, I've never had any issues with the truck smoking when the weathers cold until now, with temps as low as the mid-teens. This mornings temp was 34 degrees.

I'm hoping I didn't cause a problem. I decided to make the drive into work with the truck, hoping that maybe the smoke would lessen or maybe even stop all together, no luck even after the truck reached it normal running temperature, although the truck wasn't running outside the norm since I've owned it. She's a smooth running rig altogether, no rough starts or anything , just the thick white smoke now.

Now I'm thinking "did I add the right stuff as far as 2 cycle oil goes ?" I bought and added SuperTech 2 cycle oil at the local Wal-Mart however it was Marine Oil, non-synthetic and that was all I could find for 2 cycle oil.

Is this the right stuff to be using ? If so, has anyone else experienced this after trying the method ? I hoping that I haven't opened up a can of worms by doing this and that I don't need to take the truck in for service and repairs.

I also checked the coolant levels in the radiator and reservoir after the truck cooled as well as the dip stick once I got to work, all levels are fine and the oil looks good, not milky. Started the truck again, same thing. Checked the tailpipe to see if I'm making water or steam, no just the smoke and it has a strong smell like diesel fuel . I also don't believe it's the fuel itself because I've always used the fuel from this station since I bought the rig, and I'm on my 4th tank. No problem until now.

Sorry for the length of this post . Any help, comments and recommendations are appreciated. Do I need to think about draining my fuel tank ? I hope not ...

R/,

Joe
Can someone tell me what page in the Ford owner's manual this mixing of 2-Cycle oil is on? I want to make sure I put the correct amount in according to Ford guidelines:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My first thought here when i read the title "Added 2 cycle oil." was "WHY THE &^%$ DID YOU DO THAT?

Im a firm believer that the tip on the dash is good insurance "DIESEL FUEL ONLY"....i put a duel additive in mine, but im pretty sure thats just a waste of money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hardline43,

Thanks for the response, sorry that I didn't mention that in my initial posting. I added 2 16 oz bottles to a full tank of fuel. My tank capacity is 38 gallons.

Also called the Shell service station this morning after doing all my fact finding and confirmed that the diesel fuel in their tanks was the Ultra low sulfur.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you are using Shell diesel the two-cycle oil is likely just lightening your wallet. Did you add the oil before filling the tank. If not, you may be runnung on too heavy a mix or you may have gummed up your EGR valve. Hope it's nothing expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gordonford,

No I didn't use the Shell brand of 2 cycle oil, I used SuperTech. The fuel itself I get from Shell, its ULSD. I don't believe the mix is incorrect after reviewing what I've read on moper137man site regarding adding the 2 cycle oil to ULSD fuel, if anything it's lower than the 1 oz oil to 1 gallon fuel ratio that he talks about.

I rechecked the type of oil and it is SuperTech 2 cycle oil, non-synthetic, for Marine engines. I added 2 16 oz. bottles during fill up. I had 1/2 a tank to begin with. I added 1 bottle before pumping and the 2nd bottle after I had passed the $30 make. Total fill up was $66, roughly 19.5 gals. Tank capacity is 38 gals. I would think that the mixture should be pretty good by doing it this way, but who knows ?

Looks like I'm headed to the service department this afternoon. DAMN, hopefully this won't be too expensive of a lesson to learn.

·
Registered
502 Posts
good luck if it is under warranty they find out you put that in there forget ever getting any thing to do with the fuel system replaced never mind any thing else. those guys will black flag that truck :nono:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks Gordonford,

No I didn't use the Shell brand of 2 cycle oil, I used SuperTech. The fuel itself I get from Shell, its ULSD. I don't believe the mix is incorrect after reviewing what I've read on moper137man site regarding adding the 2 cycle oil to ULSD fuel, if anything it's lower than the 1 oz oil to 1 gallon fuel ratio that he talks about.

I rechecked the type of oil and it is SuperTech 2 cycle oil, non-synthetic, for Marine engines. I added 2 16 oz. bottles during fill up. I had 1/2 a tank to begin with. I added 1 bottle before pumping and the 2nd bottle after I had passed the $30 make. Total fill up was $66, roughly 19.5 gals. Tank capacity is 38 gals. I would think that the mixture should be pretty good by doing it this way, but who knows ?

Looks like I'm headed to the service department this afternoon. DAMN, hopefully this won't be too expensive of a lesson to learn.
Who in the world told you to put 2-cycle oil in your diesel fuel? Could you do it with older diesel engines in trucks, tractors, etc? Sure, heck my 1976 IH 1066 tractor has it right in the owner's manual, but not in today's modern engines!!!! If you want lubricity add Stanadyne or Diesel Service or get the additive from Ford; ones that are approved by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
TomCat..I recall that lubricity test thread awhile back. 2cycle oil was mentioned. I think you used right oil..Outboard 2cycle..TCW3 engine oil. IIRC..some reported using this, but no mention of smoke.

I'm thinking..o.dilution by fuel (ratio) probably didn't hurt anything.JMO! But, why smoking like you say? Good luck!

btw..give u credit for trying. I realize u based you decision on what other's said/did. Hopefully they were't blowing smoke wrong way?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I would not worry about the 2cycle oil. I use it for lubricity with no ill effects. It works better than the other products mentioned. You just want to make sure it contains no ash.

I would pull the EGR first to make sure its not sticking and give it a good cleaning before you replace it. Otherwise I would suspect an EGR cooler failure but this would be unrelated to the 2 cycle oil.

Easy on the flames folks. We all make different decisions. While some of us would not choose the same decision as others we are still here to help each other out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have been using the same stuff for over 3 months now, yes you used the right stuff. I think it is an awesome way to provide your injectors a little extra lube with new ULSD. And do not let the "your warranty is toast crowd" get you down. I am willing to bet your new symtoms are coincedense and not from the 2-stroke. I know of to many 6.0s running this oil for it to harm yours. And to the warranty police, how in the "HE" double hockey sticks would the dealer ever know there was ever 32 oz of oil in your 38 gallon fuel tank? About the smoke

My 00 psd excursion, 04 psd f350 and my 06 psd f350 all have put out white smoke when cold, and when sub zero so much so that I can about blind the car behind me, my neighbors duramax does the same thing. Are you certin the truck has never done this before and you just weren't looking for it? I hope that did sound offensive, just wondering.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Most folks trucks blow a little white smoke when it's cold outside. If it hasn't lost any coolant, then I'd say there's no need for a trip to the dealer at this point. As far as the 2 cycle stuff goes, many folks use it with absolutely no ill effects. Heck, I'm thinking about giving it a shot myself.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Seem's we all get "normal" white tail pipe vapor on cold e. when temps drop. After normal e. temp reached (maybe little before) all clear.

TCat is saying it still blow's white smoke? after e. warmed up. I'm also wondering about egr cooler, but no coolant loss. hmmm?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Can someone tell me what page in the Ford owner's manual this mixing of 2-Cycle oil is on? I want to make sure I put the correct amount in according to Ford guidelines:icon_rolleyes:
It's not there. Ford only supports the use of Heavy Sewing Machine Oil at the recommended ratio. 2-Cycle is only recommended in the tranny. :jester:

I can't believe these threads can actually be serious..... :lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
While your looking around that manual, see what Ford thinks is the best way to replace the lost lubricity that the fuel system needs when all manufacturers KNEW years in advance that fuel would go from 500PPM sulfur content to 15 PPM. It should be listed under "Abnormal wear and tear."

·
Registered
695 Posts
While your looking around that manual, see what Ford thinks is the best way to replace the lost lubricity that the fuel system needs when all manufacturers KNEW years in advance that fuel would go from 500PPM sulfur content to 15 PPM. It should be listed under "Abnormal wear and tear."
Probably why FORD labeled their own anti-gel, lubricity, cetane boost product; NOT 2-CYCLE OIL!!! And I agree, people make different decisions and we are here to help each other, BUT, that should also include informing people when they are about to crater their warranty or use an UN-SCIENTIFIC solution. The lubricity products have all been tested by professionals, including the mixing ratio; not a "trial and error" approach to adding something to a VERY expensive engine.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Probably why FORD labeled their own anti-gel, lubricity, cetane boost product; NOT 2-CYCLE OIL!!! And I agree, people make different decisions and we are here to help each other, BUT, that should also include informing people when they are about to crater their warranty or use an UN-SCIENTIFIC solution. The lubricity products have all been tested by professionals, including the mixing ratio; not a "trial and error" approach to adding something to a VERY expensive engine.
I dont think anyone thinks that warning about a warranty issue is out of line.

It sounds like you might have missed this scientific study:

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place

The above was not a "trial and error." It was methodically done. Some folks just choose a product that exceeds Ford's recommended products especially when the owner will be the one paying for repairs after warranty. Ford just doesnt look very far past the end of thier financial responsibility.

I think its safe to say that OP's issue has nothing to do with the addative.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Read the chart smiley posted. The testing has been done. In the lab and in the field. Just because you weren't aware of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. No offense intended.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts