The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you add the Home Link garage door opener feature to a truck that didn't come with it? If so, what parts do you need besides the visor, and what do you have to connect?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
In my 2004 and 2005 trucks all it was, was getting the visor and plugging it in to the existing wiring harness. VERY easy. I can't imagine it being anything different in the 2011's - but since I special ordered my truck I got homelink with it already. Do you have lighted visors? The main thing is that it needs power, the entire homelink system is contained within the visor... (at least it used to be)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dak, I'll give my parts guy a call and see if they are still self contained. BTW I have the lighted visors. I find it funny that the dealer would order a Lariat Ultimate without Home Link, its got every other option except the headrest DVD but I think Ford stopped putting them in when mine was being built. I'd love to get rid of that bulky "clicker" opener that keeps flying off my dash and the Home Link visor would do that nicely. My wifes' Expediton has it and she likes the feature very much.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What color interior do you have? I wonder if the home link visor for my 2005 would work? I still have it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm totally hearing you on this one! Almost $60k for a truck, loaded with the Ultimate Lariat Package and no HomeLink...? :icon_rolleyes:

Please do post the part and price. I know of a dealer in Indiana that is really good parts price wise, so might give him a call.

Thanks!

Thanks Dak, I'll give my parts guy a call and see if they are still self contained. BTW I have the lighted visors. I find it funny that the dealer would order a Lariat Ultimate without Home Link, its got every other option except the headrest DVD but I think Ford stopped putting them in when mine was being built. I'd love to get rid of that bulky "clicker" opener that keeps flying off my dash and the Home Link visor would do that nicely. My wifes' Expediton has it and she likes the feature very much.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I read in a forum somewhere that it is a plug and play upgrade, you just have to order the visor. Can't confirm 100% but adding what Dak said about the 2005's I would think its more likely then not.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: I just ordered the HomeLink visor for my truck from the dealer I bought it from. There is a difference between the CC visors and the standard cab and extended cabs so this part number may be different for those of you without a CrewCab. My interior is tan, there are also black and gray, only three colors available.
Part # for CrewCab tan interior is BC3Z-2504105-HA List is $256.48 I'm getting it for $205.18. According to the parts guy, its just a direct swap if you have the lighted visor which I do. It will be here next week and I'll let you all know if its as easy to do as it seems.
BTW thanks Dak for the offer on yours but according to the parts guy it wouldn't fit the new trucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
UPDATE: I just ordered the HomeLink visor for my truck from the dealer I bought it from. There is a difference between the CC visors and the standard cab and extended cabs so this part number may be different for those of you without a CrewCab. My interior is tan, there are also black and gray, only three colors available.
Part # for CrewCab tan interior is BC3Z-2504105-HA List is $256.48 I'm getting it for $205.18. According to the parts guy, its just a direct swap if you have the lighted visor which I do. It will be here next week and I'll let you all know if its as easy to do as it seems.
BTW thanks Dak for the offer on yours but according to the parts guy it wouldn't fit the new trucks.

I think -GA is for Crew Cab

Just ordered mine. Thanks for the research. Now I just hope it works.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well from what you are saying, my parts guy screwed up, I'll call him tomorrow and see what is happening. Thanks for the correction guys. After all the time the guy spent looking for this, and even telling me there is a difference for crew cabs, he still missed this? GREAT.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine will be in Tue now that the parts guy ordered the CORRECT part. BCR, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I got the new visor and installed it, which was harder than I thought. Two screws hold the visor on but the wiring connector was glued fast to the back of the headliner. I had to open the sunroof and unclip the velcor fastener and then force my hand in there and pull loose some foam that was holding the wiring with contact cement. After getting it free (and cutting my hand) I was able to unhook the wire and install the new one. NOW does anybody have instructions for programming the unit? The manual doesn't seem to mention it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK, I got the new visor and installed it, which was harder than I thought. Two screws hold the visor on but the wiring connector was glued fast to the back of the headliner. I had to open the sunroof and unclip the velcor fastener and then force my hand in there and pull loose some foam that was holding the wiring with contact cement. After getting it free (and cutting my hand) I was able to unhook the wire and install the new one. NOW does anybody have instructions for programming the unit? The manual doesn't seem to mention it.

Crap... mine hasn't shown up yet... supposed to be here yesterday. Thanks for the info though. just saved me some time swearing at it...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried those instructions numerous times already with no luck. My gate opener is the kind with a fixed code you set by dip switches, it works great with the Homelink in the wifes' 2002 Expedition. I'm going to dig up the directions for programming her car and try them on mine since the uints look identical.
BTW, I call Homelink tech support and they told me that this IS NOT one of their units due to its having 3 LEDs. She said call Ford which I did and they tell me it IS Homelink. I hate when a company tells you something as fact when you know it to be BS. Homelink needs to train its people better.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: I called my Ford parts guy and he spent about a half hour researching this and found a manual that details the procedure, these visors are NOT Homelink, they are Car-2-U systems. He faxed me about 6 pages of instructions (very blury but I managed). They worked!
For all those doing this upgrade, call your dealer and get the proper procedure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
UPDATE: I called my Ford parts guy and he spent about a half hour researching this and found a manual that details the procedure, these visors are NOT Homelink, they are Car-2-U systems. He faxed me about 6 pages of instructions (very blury but I managed). They worked!
For all those doing this upgrade, call your dealer and get the proper procedure.

Just got my visor a few minutes ago.... but left the dealer before seeing that the directions are different. Thanks for the info...

Lear Car2U System: How to program the Lear Car2U universal garage door opener

1 - 20 of 51 Posts