The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member for awhile now, but have not posted pictures cause I am not sure how to do it. Does it cost anything to get your pics on one of those sites that I see others on? Anyone with some helpful hints out there? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
You can post a few photos right here on TheDieselStop. Then you can link to one of those photos to put a photo under your username on your posts - that photo is called an avatar. (Nobody knows why.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

To get to the photo section on TheDieselStop, scroll up to the top of this screen and notice two menu bars. On one of those menu bars is a button for "photos". Click on that button, then on "Member Galleries", and then follow your nose.

To work as your avatar, the photo must be either a jpg or gif file. Or one other I can never remember. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
av·a·tar n.

1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.

2. An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.

3. A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Sanskrit avatra, descent (of a deity from heaven), avatar : ava, down + tarati, he crosses; see ter-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

The computer use of the term came into play with these online roleplaying games, in which a computer image represented or "embodied" a player in the game. Kind of like "The Sims".

Sanskit being one of the most ancient languages, I guess the word has been around for a while, and had a comeback... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

-steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts