The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I've got what might be a really dumb question. I've been told by several diesel mechanics that I should add 1 qt. of transmission fluid to my fuel tank periodically as this would help to lube the injection pump and clean also. Is this safe or an urban legend or a total waste of money?

George

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What color is tranny fluid. Think about dye in fuel what color is it and then answer your own question.No red fuel in road trucks. Red fuel for farm use only.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Isn't that what the oil in diesel fuel for????? If you want to add something use something made for it like DieselKleen by Power Service. I use it every tank.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Folks

I've got what might be a really dumb question. I've been told by several diesel mechanics that I should add 1 qt. of transmission fluid to my fuel tank periodically as this would

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard and seen this done, too. It is supposed to help de-crabon the engine, and lube parts and pieces. Ford does not recommend doing this because they say the ATF will degrade the rubber/butyl/whatever the heck they're made out of parts in your fuel system. They also say that about biodiesel, too, but I've never heard of any trouble, and my father in law has run it for 100,000 miles. My Dad says ATF does help diesels.
[ QUOTE ]
help to lube the injection pump

[/ QUOTE ]

Powerstrokes don't have injection pumps, so no benefit there...

[ QUOTE ]
and clean also. Is this safe or an urban legend or a total waste of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of a proffessional mail hauler that owns 25 trucks, he does it all the time and swears by it, says it helps keep his trucks running clean (reduces carbon build-up). I am sure it is NOT an urban legend, but you need to be aware of what Ford says about it. I wouldn't worry about it personally, but I probably wouldn't do it in my truck... They make service additives specifically for this, so why put ATF in there?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I don't believe that the ATF is good for newer ('99+) powerstroke injectors.

From what I gather, ATF used to be used on older trucks - just not good for the newer ones...

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Folks

I've got what might be a really dumb question. I've been told by several diesel mechanics that I should add 1 qt. of transmission fluid to my fuel tank periodically as this would help to lube the injection pump and clean also. Is this safe or an urban legend or a total waste of money?

George

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not use Veggie Oil? even waste Veggie oil will do, just filter it thru a couple of coffee filters on a funnel before you use it. Its cheaper than real diesel, better cleaning and lube property, lessen oil dependency on big oil company and middle east, makes your truck's exhaust smells good and no problem with the law re red colored farm fuel. Fordforgotton mentioned you can use up to about 25% ratio without problems. If you refine it, you could probably use up to 90% ratio without problem in the summer but I think 50% ratio in winter would be about as much as you want.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The experience I have had with tranny oil was in a petrol engine that was rebuilt. Due to a perferated tranny modulator diaphgram the tranny oil was sucked into the inlet manifold in large doses. Like smoking behind.The net result was one badly worn engine ready for rebuild. The tranny oil apparently burnt and left a very abrassive residue like dust and the engine was a typical "dusted" rebuild candidate.
Diesels I dont know but would use a recognised additive myself.
Just my two bobs worth
Regards

Ron

·
Registered
398 Posts
I posted this a little while back about what it did to my truck:

First tank full was 1 pint to the full tank filled to the rim.No noticable difference at all unitl I got down to maybe 1/8 tank then seemed to quite down slightly.Second tankful was a cup to a full tank,still no difference until I got down to about a half a tank then she really started to quite down,third tank was remander of what was in the tranny bottle,again another cup,but tank wasnt quite as low as second tank when I filled it up,maybe in between 1/8 and 1/4 tank.Engine was about as loud as it was on the second tank,but most definately quieter.Today I filled up again,NO tranny fluid at all,engine has not gotten louder,but time will tell if it will or not.I hyave only gone about 30 miles on this tank.

Now since I posted this about a month ago,I have not added any to my fuel and about the only difference I can tell is how much louder my engine has become.Next month Ill be doing the veggie oil deal to see what effects it has on MY truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts