The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey bought my first diesel yesterday 1993 7.3 IDI factory turbo 5spd with 218k miles. The truck starts instantly no smoking no blowby, so far the only thing wrong with is it needs new tires.

I have been reading over alot of forums about the 200k mile tune up. So far what I have gathered is to do a tune up I should replace the IP, Injectors, Glow Plugs, return lines, get the timing done, and flush the coolant system.

I'm looking at going through R&D, I am a little confused on the N/A injectors vs turbo injectors.

My plan is to also add a 3in down pipe into a 4in exhaust, then add a pyrometer and add more fuel too it.
Is there anything else I should look into or do maintaince on for the truck?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Change the oil, check the differential fluid, check the frame for rust, check to see if all the lights are working, check for exhaust leak, check serpentine belt, check hoses, check to see if door locks are working, check to see if all the windows work. If you are going to add more fuel, then you need to add gauges so that you can monitor exhaust temperature and turbo psi.

Talk with R&D and ask them to recommend the best injectors for your application. Not sure if they have different injectors for NA or turbo. They should be able to tell you.

If you are going to add more fuel, then upgrade the air intake also.

·
Registered
1994 Factory turbo IDI swapped into a 2009 Ram 2500
16 Posts
You do not need to replace IP, injectors and glowplugs for a tune up. The IP ain't cheap, and you would only replace it if you found something wrong with it. Glowplugs can be inspected and tested, and replaced as required - if the tips are swollen, replace. If you have concerns about injectors, pull them all and have them tested. Some opt to purchase a set of matched injectors, some opt to adjust/replace as required.

-Return lines and caps - definitely do these, they get neglected.
-Turbo VS NA injectors - The turbo ones flow a bit more.
-Coolant - Make sure you use a diesel coolant. They have anti-cavitation additives that are very important.
-Timing - Injection timing is very important, but make sure whatever shop you deal with actually has the special equipment to time a mechanical diesel. Not terribly common these days.
-Check your turbo for play. If you are reasonably mechanically inclined, you can rebuild it yourself for about 100 bucks.
-Check/Change all fluids if you don't know the history for certain. This includes flushing brake fluid.
-Clean battery connections and ground points.

All just generally 'old truck' stuff. These things pretty much go forever if you do the obvious maintenance, especially a 5 speed. There's a whole host of extra things to maintain with the auto...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts