The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished replacing the sending unit on the front tank due to the plastic pick up coming apart.

Now I want to drop the rear tank and take a look inside because of what happened to the front sender.

I have used the "search" feature on this sight and found several threads.

Does anyone have any input on removing the rear tank ?? I dont want to pull the bed off at this time.

I have looked and it seems like the hardest part is going to be disconnecting the filler hose ???

Thankyou.

·
Registered
843 Posts
There's nothing too tricky about removing the rear tank that you wouldn't have encountered in dropping the front tank. It's a little tight getting the seams of the tank to drop down between the lower flanges of the frame, but it can be accomplished by tilting the tank just so. As for the filler neck, it's kind of a tight reach if you have big hands, but a 5/16" socket on a swivel with a 12" extension will reach the band clamp without too much difficulty.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There's nothing too tricky about removing the rear tank that you wouldn't have encountered in dropping the front tank. It's a little tight getting the seams of the tank to drop down between the lower flanges of the frame, but it can be accomplished by tilting the tank just so. As for the filler neck, it's kind of a tight reach if you have big hands, but a 5/16" socket on a swivel with a 12" extension will reach the band clamp without too much difficulty.
If you have a hitch, is possible that you need to remove it also. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
skid plates are all that is holding it up, don't expect straps after you drop the plates!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I was able to drop the tank Sunday.

Definately not easy as the front tank, actually it was a P.I.T.A.

I found nothing wrong with the sender but install the new one.

Glad that is over with, now have piece of mind with both tanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I was able to drop the tank Sunday.

Definately not easy as the front tank, actually it was a P.I.T.A.

I found nothing wrong with the sender but install the new one.

Glad that is over with, now have piece of mind with both tanks.
Shoulda done the filler neck mod while you were in there and had the tanks down. It really makes a big difference when filling up these OBS trucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts