The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been out of the diesel scene for a while. So long I had to make a new logging for the site. I'm trying to run down a loss of power, high frequency miss and excessive blue smoke issue.

Last summer I changed out my injector O-rings on my original injectors. They were notably worn in places. I also changed out one of the connectors hat connect to the uvch this was on the outside. Ran good but started to once again smoke more than in the past. Significant blue smoke on cold start up (plugged in), it will clear up with highway driving but any stationary idling it comes back an is very acrid.

Recently I have noticed a very high frequency miss/vibration that is rpm related. This comes about after the truck has been ran a while and is warm. It appears that overall power is decreased also but not dramatic. More noticeably at highway speeds.

I got the AE scanner and am just starting to mess with it. Buzz test sounds all injectors but there are a couple that are not the same tone as the rest. It appears with these trucks that there is a high and low buzz test but that is conflictive with other information.

I can unplug the ICP and the % goes from 11.2 to 14.4, the pressure goes from 581 to 724. This is at idle with oil at 174f. This appears to be what is expected with a functioning ICP and IPR.

I am curious to know what would I expect to see with my data when a IPR has failing O-rings? I'm assuming a lower pressure and higher duty cycles beyond the norm?

My thought is I am in need of new injectors but want to verify the other related components are working properly prior to this and possibly see if the issue isn't a injector problem.

I'm also interested in any internet resources on the use of the AE. A one stop shop possibly. I've been searching all of the sites and leaning a lot but would like to find something a little more organized as it pertains to the OBS trucks. thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
CornRickey, I can't help with the AE question , but your signature is in place on my screen.:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
14,437 Posts
There is only one buzz test. There is a general correlation between poppet clearance and the pitch / loudness of the buzzing injector. If you have some that sound muffled, they are probably worn out. You can confirm this with a feeler gauge - http://www.dieselpro.ca/Poppet Valve.pdf

If the IPR had bad O-rings, you would expect (as you mentioned) higher IPR duty cycle to maintain a given IC pressure.

You might have an issue with an injector o-ring. This will allow oil to be forced into the fuel rail where it will be burned. This can cause the blue smoke at idle you see. The smoke generally will clear at higher RPM partly due to your engine's ability to burn oil (they are called oil burners after all) and partially due to the increased dilution caused by higher fuel use. Alternatively, you could have an injector that has a very poor spray pattern causing unburned fuel at idle. Smoke color is sometimes hard to distinguish in this weather. Either way, the best thing you could do is pull your injectors and send them to Full Force for a flow test. Flow testing service 8 Injectors

Ken did a great AE write-up if you are interested: https://sites.google.com/site/woodnthings8/2002-f-350-superduty/autoenginuity

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spent the day pulling vavle covers, checking harness, gp's and armatures. Found one bad gp, one bad connector and so far the passenger side bank is no better than .0025. After I got that side back together I fired it up from cold. It took about 2 minutes to have noticeable oil coming out of the spigots. I know it was just dooling down the side so you couldn't see it. Still need to do the drivers but unless anyone has other ideas I think I'm due for some injectors.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil is less than a year old with maybe 2k on it. I just haven't been focusing on the truck over the last couple years. Nite it's time to get it squared away for this summer.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Like Rt. Said about one test and a need for a uniform sound.
You told me about mileage.What about how long it has sat.If it's been awhile try bringing the oil up to temp and run it at 3000rmp for a good while and see what you have.
You may need injectors but IDE try that first.Then IDE move to testing for oring leakage.
Did you lube the rings before you put them in?Did you check the new copper washer right before you put the injector in?did you use a torque wrench when you installed them?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I'm confident with the oring job. I guess there could always be a nicked oring but this issue was happening at some levelprior to the oring job. I actually expected to see a burnt harness today. I've driven the truck at least once a month. The truck hasn't sat for a year. I haven't done anything beyond maintenance with it. I'm not seeing any seepage from the base of the injectors. Other than looking for that I'm not aware of any other "oring" check. There isn't any oil in the fuel bowl or fuel in the oil that I can tell.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thoughts on the armature spacing? .0025 was tight for most. One I could get a .0030 in the top of it bit not the bottom. From what I've read .0016-.0020 is the cut off. One pdf I read said.0040. It appears if this is the case a oring issue would be irrelevant. Thoughts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts