The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original problem was white smoke and rough running for a few seconds when cold. I had a friend scan it and found #8 failed cylinder contribution test. Used a temp gun and had a couple cold cylinders too. I know #8 can set a phantom code. I replaced all glow plugs and the gpr, #8 injector anyway and new o-rings on all injectors. All oem Ford parts. Now it starts faster but with blue-ish smoke and a more noticeable miss when cold, slight miss when warm. AE reveals P1298 and #8 cct fail. My questions are can I check the harness at the connection at the big plug over the drivers side v/c before I dig out the IDM and check there? Second question is there a link somewhere to good known scanner values? Cold/hot, @idle etc. I'm thinking I might have fouled up an o-ring or an injector upon re-install. I have AE with the ford package now.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
the #8 fail CCT might be your CPS, witch one do you have?

how many miles since the job was done?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure which cps I have. I had it replaced a year ago under the recall after sitting on the notice for a couple years waiting until the old one crapped out, which it finally did. It's been about 600mi since the work. Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I'm not sure which cps I have. I had it replaced a year ago under the recall after sitting on the notice for a couple years waiting until the old one crapped out, which it finally did. It's been about 600mi since the work. Thanks for the link.
That would probably mean he has the Ford gray CPS now, right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take a look in the morning. Also, when I run a buzz test #8 is louder and higher pitch then the rest. Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I'll take a look in the morning. Also, when I run a buzz test #8 is louder and higher pitch then the rest. Is that normal?
I believe that is common for the Ford gray CPS.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
the #8 buzzing higher than the others can indicate a poppet wear in the injector (if i remember correctly)

buzz test only indicate that the wiring is good going to the injector (electrical side) and the poppet is working (also the wear of the poppet)

this might help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the links guys. Lots of good info. I'll do some more investigating today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I finally had a chance to look some more. I do have the grey cps. With the superchips programmer on performance setting I was gettinga p1298 IDM code. Returned it back to stock and haven't seen that code since. Still failing #1 and #8 cct. Ohmd all injectors at the 42 pin connector, all were 3.8ish. ICP is 550+ @ idle and at WOT 2200+ with 30% IPR duty cycle. Time for a compression test? Anything else I should check first. I was going to pull #8 injector today and take a look at o-rings, but I think I'll wait until I get a compression gauge. Thoughts? I forgot to add, on the rotational velocity data most cylinders were 0% with # 1 @2% and #8 @10.5%

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
So I finally had a chance to look some more. I do have the grey cps. With the superchips programmer on performance setting I was gettinga p1298 IDM code. Returned it back to stock and haven't seen that code since. Still failing #1 and #8 cct. Ohmd all injectors at the 42 pin connector, all were 3.8ish. ICP is 550+ @ idle and at WOT 2200+ with 30% IPR duty cycle. Time for a compression test? Anything else I should check first. I was going to pull #8 injector today and take a look at o-rings, but I think I'll wait until I get a compression gauge. Thoughts? I forgot to add, on the rotational velocity data most cylinders were 0% with # 1 @2% and #8 @10.5%
Probably worn poppet valves, you can check with feeler gauge if you have valve cover off by removing the 4 screws and pull off solenoid on top of injector

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
you can also swap the #8 with #7 and see if your CCT follow the injector or not

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
you can also swap the #8 with #7 and see if your CCT follow the injector or not
Yes but it is a lot less work to just run feeler gauge under armature plate and check. No draining oil rails and removing oil and fuel from top of piston. Also while running with valve cover off just look at oil discharge tube and compare to others next to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll try both of those suggestions when I get the cover off. The #8 injector is a new oem with 750miles on it. It idled fine before the work after 30sec. of running when cold. Now it has a dead miss when cold and small miss when warm. I haven't seen a decrease in oil or coolant level either.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I see it is new injector in #8
still check with running and even unplug injector while running to confirm for sure which cylinder has miss and look at those oil discharge amounts. I also had a bad idm act like this and no codes at all

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll look at those things that for sure. I have a friend that said I could try his idm. I might as well try it before pulling the cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I dove into it today. Started by pulling the cover and looking at oil discharge, looked good. Unplugged #8 while running with very little change. I then checked compression. It was about 40-50lbs. lower than the others I checked. Started to pull #8 injector and it wouldn't come out. After 2 1/2 hours I got it out and found this. The injector and cup cleaned up fine and couldn't see any damage. Put a new o-ring kit on and it's running great. The numbers look good on AE. I will be keeping an eye on my coolant level though. Thanks for all ya'lls help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
HOLLY ****!!!!

those washer are tight fit on the nozzle. someone really miss something when changing it out. are you sure the cup did not crack?

glad you got it figure out

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
wow thats crazy!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts