The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,678 Posts
Sure AFe intakes are ok. The two best, based on a lot of independent research, are the Tymar and the Ford Severe Duty AIS. I like the Ford version - it has a honeycomb Donaldson filter and not only flows a lot more air than the others, it filters better. Most "high flow" air filters sacrifice filtration. They Tymar is in the same range, but I don't like the open filter box design personally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks i was just asking about the afe because a site i was looking on had a ts 6 n afe intake combo for a good deal

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm very pleased with my AFE intake, it was a huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Jody at DP is on record as stating that the AIS does not flow nearly as much air as an AFE drop in, though he does suggest opening up the snorkel in the 7.3 airbox. As such, I removed my AIS and went back to stock airbox with an AFE drop in.

DOC

·
Premium Member
14,678 Posts
My original point was the Tymar and the Ford Severe Duty AIS flow the most air WHILE offering the best filtration. I'll freely admit the K&N washable will flow more air - lets in a lot of dirt too. I'll even go on record and state that you can get a lot more airflow by just leaving the filter out altogether. In fact, you can just disconnect the cold air intake hose at the turbo. The issue is improved airflow over stock AND improved filtration. The Tymar has a 98% filtration ability and the Donaldson filter (Ford Severe Duty AIS) is ranked at 99.5%. Either of these filters will move enough air to get you to about 500HP. If you're producing more than that - you're probably not worried about blowing motors anyway.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
My original point was the Tymar and the Ford Severe Duty AIS flow the most air WHILE offering the best filtration. I'll freely admit the K&N washable will flow more air - lets in a lot of dirt too. I'll even go on record and state that you can get a lot more airflow by just leaving the filter out altogether. In fact, you can just disconnect the cold air intake hose at the turbo. The issue is improved airflow over stock AND improved filtration. The Tymar has a 98% filtration ability and the Donaldson filter (Ford Severe Duty AIS) is ranked at 99.5%. Either of these filters will move enough air to get you to about 500HP. If you're producing more than that - you're probably not worried about blowing motors anyway.
I agree with RT...you can't go wrong with either the Tymar or Ford's AIS. I personally would stay away from K & N type filters in a diesel. Proper and frequent maintenance is critical with this type of air filter. And most don't know how or do it often enough to be effective. Just my two cents.

Griz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts