The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally after years of slowly addressing cold start issues I ended up trying the shimming of injector armatures. Once completed the truck started right up. Let it run for about half hour while i checked fluid levels. I did notice a quick miss or slight stall twice before taking it on a test drive. While on a test drive i drove it for about 10 miles before it just quit running abruptly. Have bot had a chance to look at anything other than HPOP Level. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Did you pull the injectors to do the work? What size shims did you install? Did you do the shims on the solenoid as well? What size there?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not remove injectors, i installed what was suggested in packing list which was one .004 on the single bolt under armatues and .005 between the spacer plate and the armature on all 4 bolts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey RT what are your thoughts on my shimming? The ones i had checked with feeler gauge were around .002

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I think you did ok and the pro has to be somewhere else. Check your 42 pin connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am confident that no wires got penched under valve cover, i did alot of work to it installed new water pump, new 6.0 cooler. Updated radiator to OTW. I will check the connection of 42 pin connector but i am sure it is tight because when i went to start it the first time i had forgot to connect it.

When it died i was about a mile from home I came to a stop sign pulled through intersection and while accelerating i kinda got in it and that is when it shut down completely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the 42 pin connector and it was tight, i also checked all fuses under the hood and they were okay. I have a 12 volt LED in the cab to indicate power on load side of GPR it came on like it should. Any info on what fuse would power injector adriver module? Just looking for things to consider. I think i mentioned the Hpop had oil in it, it did seem to be a little low so i added a little. When cranking it just sounds a little different, kinda like cranking with no oil in HPOP!

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Do you have access to a scanner? Need to do a buzz test and watch some parameters while cranking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did see a you tube of a guy using Torque, does it take much to set things up to read? Planned a trip but getting short on time and need the bets way to figure out what the problem is without pulling it to a shop

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will figure out a scanner what i need help with is when scanning what should i be seeing as normal conditions while cranking?

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Forscan might be a good option. If you want to post your location, someone with a scanner might be close by. Here's a sheet from Ford that shows what to look for when cranking:

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No scan tool yet, but i can see the tach move slightly while cranking so i believe the CPS is probably okay. I also unplugged the IPS and same thing with no start. I figure i should check to make sure i have voltage to oil pressure regulator and also check voltage from IDM at valve cover for injectors. Any idea what voltage i should see at both and any other ideas would be great! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just thought maybe a buz test will tell me if injectors are getting fired from IDM i will try that after work

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Yep. Some guy recommended that back in post #8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I don't know of any way. Forscan is cheap as is an ELM327 adapter.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts