The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,341 Posts
P1690 is a Wastegate Control Valve Malfunction code and P0470 is Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Neither of those should cause a no-start condition. No GEM codes will cause a no-start either.
I would check your wiring to the ICP and IPR to make sure there's not a short and each wire has continuity.

·
Registered
65 Posts
P1690 is a Wastegate Control Valve Malfunction code and P0470 is Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Neither of those should cause a no-start condition. No GEM codes will cause a no-start either.
I would check your wiring to the ICP and IPR to make sure there's not a short and each wire has continuity.
A shorted back pressure sensor will absolutely cause a no start. Unhook the wire from the sensor and see if it runs.

·
Super Moderator
25,341 Posts
A shorted back pressure sensor will absolutely cause a no start. Unhook the wire from the sensor and see if it runs.
You're absolutely right. The sensors share a common signal circuit to the PCM, and if shorted will throw everything, including the ICP sensor signal off. I had forgotten about that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well i tried unplugging it but my batteries were near dead with a no srart. Think i will pull them charge both and have load tested. They are only a couple yesrs old but i have been really hard on them lately.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay sorry for delay but i finally got around to getting batteries charged, and unhooked the back pressure sensor and truck still didn't start.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm not seeing any signs of fuel in my radiator fluid but my first thought was the fuel looked a little more green than what i expected. If so maybe some coolant in with it?

·
Premium Member
14,608 Posts
Fuel from the bowl gets recirculated. You appear to have the old style fuel heater which is prone to shorting out. I don't think that is your problem, but maybe change it sometime. Try cranking with the ICP sensor disconnected. Fuel looks ok to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,341 Posts
You appear to have the old style fuel heater which is prone to shorting out. I don't think that is your problem, but maybe change it sometime.
Good advice. It actually looks to me like the wire isn't firmly attached to the buttons. The wire should be aligned in the slots below it. I'd fix it before it goes bad, or maybe disconnect it if you can't fix it right away. If the wire slides off the buttons, you're going to be dead in the water till you fix the fuse that blows.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Klhansen not sure what you are refering to as far as your last comment on the wires not being firmly attached. In the picture of the fuel bowl.

·
Premium Member
14,608 Posts
If you look at the picture of the fuel bowl, the heating wire on the right side is loose on it's insulator button. If that moves and shorts out, it will blow fuse 30 and shut the truck down. There is an updated heater that addresses this. 1999 - 2003 Ford Fuel Bowl Heater Element

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Okay i currently have the heater bowl un plugged, because the heater is bad. I checked the wiring for the ICP sensor and it looks okay. No shorts to ground on both sides of 42 pin con

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Found a little time today to try and make some headway. So i reset the codes and ran another test getting 0472 for EBP and 1690 wastegate. I unplugged both of these, and while cranking i get
RPM 182
FPM off
IPR 63%
Icp 16psi
Afterward i got p1280 ICP failure. Maybe its time i replace IPR to see if it takes care of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Truck is running great better than it has in a long time. But now that i have it running i have found an oil leak at a bolt head on the water pump. The bolt that is seeping oil is the one to the left below the temp sensor on the new water pump. This one i had to use a helicoil due to threads were gone.

·
Super Moderator
25,341 Posts
Glad you got it fixed up, and thanks for closing the loop on what fixed it.

Pull that bolt and put some sealant on the threads. That should fix the leak. The bolt holes that aren't blind go into the crankcase space behind the front cover (not pressurized). Actually I don't recall any of them being thru-holes. Did you drill all the way thru when you helicoiled it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
No i did not drill all the way through. But i seen a you tube video of a 7.3idi that showed that the top 2 center and bottom 2 center bolts thread into a factory welded nut inside the front gear case. Wish i had seen that about a month ago

41 - 59 of 59 Posts