The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 06 SD's has really badly yellowed lamps that can't be refurbished again.
Has anyone installed the halogen bulb projector headlamps and can provide an opinion of light beam quality? The OEM headlights were never a high rated pattern in my book.

Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

I've never installed the aftermarket projector headlights that are out there but I am going to be modifying my headlights with projectors from theretrofitsource. These lamps have good reviews. I've arleady replaced my OEM headlights with the newer clear light off ebay and am going to modify those.

Here's a good place to start if you were looking to build them yourself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like mine. I am using a pair of headlights off ebay and just use HIDs 5000K. great lighting and dont have any complaints. got the HIDs from ddm tuning (lifetime warranty)

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
X2 for the Retrofit Resource.

Halogen's and LED's work good in factory housings, HID's i've only seen work good in a projector. This is from numerous claims and from personal experience. I've had HID's in factory housings, projectors, Halogens in factory housings and projectors, then LED's in factory housings and Projectors. If you go projectors, do your own and don't use cheap ebay HID systems. I'm partial to Morimoto products which you get from the Retrofit Resource along with all the components to do your own projector retrofit. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first issue to overcome is that my lights have been ground once and have started yellowing along the tops again. This never never is inside so sun is not being kind to the head lights. They are not useable in their condition as housings for a HID projector retrofit.

I have done projector retrofits to several vehicles. I have a car that came with HID reflector lamps (2004 model, sort of early in the game) and I love its lights now that I swapped in projectors.

I was trying to go a simple way where I got decent lamps and the benefits of projector tech. Halogen source with a decent projector lamp is way better than what is in a 2006 SD if the projector is a decent unit. For $170 (pair) I have no idea what quality of projector I might get. I also have no idea if they will go even two years without yellowing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts