The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...looking for an agressive type towing tire for an F250 diesel with the 20" wheel size option.

I am about to choose between the BFG K02 or the Toyo Open Country but am a little leary about sidewal flex. I would like a strong sidewall and have never had BFG K02's...which is where I am leaning.

Trailer is around 9K 5th wheel. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Don't know what you mean by an "aggressive" towing tire? I've towed a 3 horse gooseneck, 20' flatbed gooseneck, and travel trailer for decades and 99.9% of the time I just bought Mitchelin LTX M&S highway tread with the correct weight rating and had no problems. They always have that half-flat looking soggy sidewall, but that doesn't mean the sidewall's weak. Their semi tractor-trailer tires look the same regarding the sidewall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
meaning...a good agressive type mud n snow tire. I have the stock Michelins on now and have done me good but looking to change to a big lug mud n snow type, but, something that has a strong sidewall for towing. I know E rate...just looking for peoples experiences with BF Goodrich K02's or Toyo Open country tires....or other suggestions.....Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Michelin LTX AT2's best tire I've ever used, out preformed the Cooper STT's, BFG KO's, and everything else.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Michelin LTX AT2's best tire I've ever used, out preformed the Cooper STT's, BFG KO's, and everything else.
And now those have been replaced with LTX M&S Defenders. I just got a set at Costco last week for my 1/2 ton, they're really quiet and smooth. They're siped so they really do good in ice and snow which we got two days ago. I ran into town and didn't even need 4WD.

·
Registered
219 Posts
And now those have been replaced with LTX M&S Defenders. I just got a set at Costco last week for my 1/2 ton, they're really quiet and smooth. They're siped so they really do good in ice and snow which we got two days ago. I ran into town and didn't even need 4WD.
LMJD, I thought the old M&S2 was replaced by the Defender series. I think the A/T2's are still available and current as one is a road tire and the other is an "all terrain" (which does better then mud and snow tired) hehehe

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Got'cha, my mistake, thank you. I wondered about that but was to lazy to look up the M/S's versus the A/T's. And you're right, the first thing the Costco guy told me was that the M/S 2's were replaced with the Defenders.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Open country M/T are nice and E rated. I have the 37x13.5x17 and been towing 9k TT across Canada without issue.

Body of mine have the Dura trak and i find that they melt quick but better in the snow/ice

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
With 20" rims, sidewall flex should not be a problem...try my 16's and you'll see what I mean. Thinking I should go to at least 18's for towing my trailer.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Try my stock 4X4 '91 diesel. It rides like a damned board and the only suspension flex you feel unloaded is the soft sidewalled Mitchelins on stock 16" wheels. The front springs, even when I bought it new, have 1/2" to 3/4" travel before bottoming out on the frame mounted rubber pads.

·
Registered
260 Posts
With 20 inch wheels, towing is not affected. I doubt also that you will notice huge difference in sidewall flex and ride quality compared to using smaller rims like 18’s. Of course you need the correct tire pressure when towing. As I’ve said before, Duratracs are ok for towing. Also, Nitto tires particularly Terra Grapplers are good in the mud and for towing, however don’t expect the best tread life.

·
Registered
353 Posts
We have used Michelin, Toyo, Nitto, Kuhmo, firestone and BFG all terrain type tires. The BFG All Terrain is what we prefer. They have been discontinued and replaced by the KO2. I have the KO2s on my truck now. I have only about 9k on them so far but i would say that they are as good as the original KOs at least if not better. They also apparently have the highest snow rating of a non-studded tire (they may be marketing hype). My only experience in the snow with them was last February in WV driving the back mountain roads (wife said lets take the scenic root to snowshoe:disappointed:) in what this southerner can only describe as a blizzard. once i got used to driving in the snow and ice, the tires performed great. At one point we came to a steep icy grade that the 1 car and 2 SUVs were trying to get up, and were just sliding back down, I thought uh-oh I am gonna have to put the chains on. But the truck between its weight to sink in and the grip of the tires pulled right up it, I even felt bad and went back and pulled the car up because it was a guy with his 3 kids and it was already 9pm with the storm getting worse.

In short I will be purchasing another set when i wear these out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts