The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been thinking about trying to fabricate a mount for a York compressor for my 7.3 I have already dont this on my Toyota 22RE, and it has worked out very well.

The logical place to do this is where the second alternator would go (mine doesnt have one).

SO....does anyone happen to have a dead second alternator? Inned one for mounting bracket mockup etc.

Anyone done this already (besides Extremeoutback.com who is waaaaay too proud of their kit)?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Why not take the easy route and run Viair 500C. What are you needing to run, air wrenches?

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[ QUOTE ]
I have a mounting bracket from a T444E (internationa diesel) off a 1997. Same motor just different junk hung on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm. You mean the secondary alt mounting bracket? If so, I am interested.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not take the easy route and run Viair 500C. What are you needing to run, air wrenches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heat. A friend has one of those and its gets dangerously hot. Yes, I want to be able to run tools like I do with my Toyota.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
I have a 550c under my hood. Never had a heat problem. Its been there for almost three years now, and gets run almost every day (pin hole leak somewhere that I havnt bothered to look for).

I've let the thing run for an hour solid, with the truck just sitting there in high idle, while we air up tires after coming off the sand dunes. LOTS of tires. BIG tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
extremeoutback.com has a bolt on kit for the 7.3 that goes where the second alternator mounts. i am waiting on my to be built. he told me they hava a kit now that can mount with the second alternator also.
they don't have any pictures on the site you have to call.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I just fabbed a bracket & installed a York compressor on my second 99 in my sig about 2 weeks ago now. Mine is installed just to the drivers side of the alternator, so it is easy to get to. I had to reposition the battery and move the air intake around a little bit to get it to work perfectly. I mocked it up and adjusted the two idler pulleys I installed to get the setup to use the belt for a PSD with dual alternators, so it is a factory belt that can be easily found if there are problems, plus I keep the original single alt belt if the compressor or idlers lock up. I will try to snap some pics tomorrow when theres daylight and post them up.

So far, it worked great in test runs, I just am in the process now of setting up the bed and air tanks, lines, gauges, etc.

Buddy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a backhoeman. I operate big bulldozers and excavators. My 1997 F350 SRW 4X4 Crew cab has 318,000 miles on it, plus. In November 2006, I had Young & Sons here in Indianapolis install all eight injectors. So far the E40D has lasted. I went to Internationl dealer here in Indianapolis, they have a bracket for $170+ that holds a york air compressor where the alternator sets. But I drove to Tera Haut, Indiana and found a 1997 T444E with the bracket with the pullys, Tenisioner and the york compressor for $200. The York had a eight grove pully and 12 volt clutch. Yes, I need air to blow out radiators on bulldozers and excavators, grease guns, and all the air tools I can buy.... Presently, have a Knack tool box, 110 gallon fuel tank, dewalt air compressor and a Wacker 5.5 generator all in my 8 ft box. I would like room for a beer cooler. I really like this 7.3 turbo. Working men need air. Found I could buy any length of supertine belt I need.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[ QUOTE ]
.... found a 1997 T444E with the bracket with the pullys, Tenisioner and the york compressor for $200. The York had a eight grove pully and 12 volt clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whre does this fit, on the lower passenger side (where the second alternator would go) or somewhere else?

This sounds like the way to go......

·
Registered
202 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
extremeoutback.com has a bolt on kit for the 7.3 that goes where the second alternator mounts. i am waiting on my to be built. he told me they hava a kit now that can mount with the second alternator also.
they don't have any pictures on the site you have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

They sure do. The mount is $799. Then the compressor is $399. Plus plumbing and switches. I went with their magnum electric compressor for $550 instead. I'm going to install it and the tank under my in-bed toolbox with a quick disconnect on the power wire to I can unhook it and pull the toolbox if I need to haul a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like a good idea but my plan is the mount the primary alternator in the second alternator position and place the York Compressor in the original alternator position. My only concern would be the effect of water on my alternator. I would use a 3/8 inch plate mounted on top of a 94 -97 alternator bracket. A dual alternator belt would be used and an 8 groove Ogura York clutch can be purchased for 200 dollars or 100 dollars off ebay if found (then mounted onto the York Compressor).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just uploaded pics of my install to my webshots here. I got the idea from a previous thread here and this picture. Still need to move the air cleaner back & up a little, as well as install the airlines to the tank under the cab. The entire setup cost around $200 for the pulleys, bolts, A/C clutch(compressor was free), & belt and took two nights to finish it.

Buddy

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
what are you guys using for an upper radiator hose? I'm going to be doing something similar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have pictures of the layout of the york compressor on the T444E but do not know how to upload them. If you wish I could email from Picasa2.

·
Registered
995 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
what are you guys using for an upper radiator hose? I'm going to be doing something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stock upper radiator hose for a single alternator PSD. The hose for the dual alternators interferes with the bracket for the York compressor.

Buddy

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I have pictures of the layout of the york compressor on the T444E but do not know how to upload them. If you wish I could email from Picasa2.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can email them to me and I can host them, PM me.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[ QUOTE ]
The mount is $799. Then the compressor is $399.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's completely insane. $800 for a mount?

The York high volume compressor can be bought remanned and warranted from Advance Auto or Auto Zone for under $100.

·
Registered
93 Posts
800 includes more than just a mounting bracket, mine is on the way later this month i'll take pictures of the kit and after it's put on the truck. i would rather have a york compressor but i don't want to spend the time to hunt down the parts and the right belt, change hose on the cooling system.

·
Registered
519 Posts
does anyone have the part numbers for the york compressor and the bracket from IH

thanks, kevin

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone have the part numbers for the york compressor and the bracket from IH

thanks, kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to know the part number to the bracket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts