The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2013 Ford F650 Rollback with 6.7 Cummins engine. The air conditioner has stopped working, Freon will only stay in it for a day. It has been to 2 shops, no one can find the leak. One shop put the dye in the lines and again could not find the leak(s). You would think if the freon is leaking out that fast someone would be able to find the leak(s). Any suggestions or thoughts????

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
A shop that owns a sniffer should be able to find it. I have a Fieldpiece heated diode that will detect 0.1 oz/yr leaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
A leak that large should be pretty easy to detect especially with dye or an electronic leak detector. Even just using your eyes you can usually see where a leak is because not only does the refrigerant leak out but some refrigerant oil usually goes along with it leaving a nice stain and it is the oil that carries the UV dye. A simple visual inspection is only good for the components you can see though. On the medium duty trucks most of the AC components are easy to inspect though. The condenser is in the front of the cooling stack, the lines and compressor are well exposed. This really shouldn't be difficult. The two toughest parts to detect leaks are the front compressor shaft seal and the evaporator core in the instrument panel. Often, oil laced with dye can be seen coming from the evaporator drain tube. When condensation produces enough water run off it brings the oil and dye with it leaving a stain below the drain. A UV lamp will usually pick that up but the oil stain is visible without one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts