The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I am thinking I need to give my AC system a little top up. I have searched far and wide (and even looked in the factory service manuals), but I cant seem to find anything that explains what the high and low side pressures should be, and under what conditions (engine RPM, fan on high or one step below high, ambient temperature, etc.).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Although not universal, the chart below is a what I use and it has produced great results on my 2000. The refrigerant quantity should be listed on a sticker under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response!

I saw this table on the interweb...along with a bunch of other information. One person on another forum had some nice charts that showed H and L side pressure vs temperature. One for less than 100 deg F ambient and one for above 100 deg F ambient. The problem is that the numbers for 100 Deg F did not match on the two charts!

I know the "right" way to do things is to measure the amount of refrigerant that goes into the system.

Knowing that you had some luck with this chart gives me some confidence and I will use it. Worst case, I will just have to go to the dealer and have them evacuate and refill the system...

...the fact is the AC is pretty good on my truck and the only reason I am going to tinker with it is that I need to juice the AC on my 2012 4Runner which is DEFINATELY in need of a charge. Strange that the Toyota needs attention before the Ford, but I have about 95,000 on the Toyota and about 80,000 on the Ford (which gets about 500 miles a year).

All in all, I don't mind spending a few $$$ on these two vehicles which have been really good to me. My worst case scenario is where I have a major mechanical failure on the truck or some duma$$ runs into me and totals it. I am not sure what I would do after that.

Happy motoring everyone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts