The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short history, only had the truck for a few weeks now. Bone stock 1995 Super Cab, long box 4 X 4. In cooler weather I typically run the heater control on mix 99% of the time (this is true in any vehicle I drive that has that feature). Had been noticing that the air conditioning dryer always had moisture on it after driving for a while. This morning, after getting to work, while walking to the building I looked back at the truck and notice water dripping by the right front tire. Upon investigation, found the water was dripping off the dryer. In my experience, this only happens when the ambient humidity is high and the compressor is running constantly. Which, finally brings us to my question. Why would the compressor be running constantly when on mix (heater/defroster) and I know the compressor cycles when on defrost?
Thanks, Brent.

· Registered
355 Posts
Brent,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know why the AC is operating when you set the temperature to warm and on the MIX mode. When you have the mode on MIX and the temperature selector set to a warm setting you are essentially running the defroster and warming the cab via the floor vents. Since the defroster is much more effective using drier air from the AC, the air goes through the AC system and then gets heated-up via the heater core, and it then travels into the cab. Basically, the MIX mode is the same as defrost with some of the air also going to the floor vents. Also, the AC compressor is never actually on constantly, it will always cycle to keep the system pressure in check.

Hope it helps,
K.N.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K.N., you are quite close, however... I did not have the temp turned up, and I have never noticed it cycling on and off (which is leading me to believe it runs constantly when in the mix position). I always start it and then walk to the garage and back and never hear the clutch cycle (not sure if I would over the engine music anyway). I will do some more investigation this weekend. I have never seen a dryer sweat like that with a compressor running its normal cycle though. Furthermore, when I saw the water underneath I went and opened the hood started the truck and looked at the clucth and the compressor was running immediately (usually the engine runs for a few seconds and then it will kick on for a second or 2 and then off in other vehicles I have). The air seems to work excellent so it seems it is fully charged.

· Registered
73 Posts
Must not live in a very humid area. Here if there is not a gallon of water under my truck when I shut it off SOMETHING IS WRONG. Same dead of winter (as we have it here) or dead of summer. I only run in two modes, defrost and A/C. Anytime you have any type of defrost selected the A/C compressor will run/cycle wether it is mix or strait defrost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.