The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 f350 with a 6.7 power stroke diesel engine with 48k miles. The air filter has been changed 8 times. Yesterday Ford gave me the news that my engine was taking in dust through the air filter box and now the engine is a complete loss. Loss compression in 3 cylinders, and spun two connecting rod bearings. Dirt was found in the air pan. dust was found through the intake system after the air filter. This vehicle has been in oil fields most of it life. Has anyone ever experience anything like this?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
8 filters in 48k sounds a little much.
But I guess a lot of low speed dusty areas will do that.
I'd say if that did happen, something was wrong with the sealing of the air box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
ive seen oil field trucks come in with collaped air filters all the time. turbo inlet full of dirt, even started eating away at the compressor wheel on the turbo. never heard of a dusted 6.7L like ive seen on the 7.3/6.0/6.4L. I guess I could happen. ive seen plenty of bearing failures though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The OEM air filter box seals via the filter itself, you almost can't go wrong with that design unless you don't get a proper seal. Which makes it all the more important to take your time when you put the airbox together, and then check and double check the little vacuum gauge on the side of the airbox.

The filtration ratings, even on aftermarket filters, are tested at (I think) 15 or 20 microns, and from there are given an efficiency rating. Most of the OEM paper filters are up between 97-99% efficiency. Aftermarket 96-98% efficiency.

In one of the more popular tests, the AC Delco filter had a 99.7% efficiency rating and absorbed the most contamination before failure. I have yet to see a Motorcraft filter in these tests, but it outlines to me why we shouldn't use aftermarket cotton filters on our turbo diesels.

It should go without saying, but the intake filter is your first and only line of defense on what gets into the motor. I'm not sure what you're looking for here in responses, as it's pretty cut & dry. If the air filter isn't doing its job, the engine is going to chew dirt/dust, thus destroying anything with a machined surface and tolerances (bearings/journals).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts