The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon Gents and Ladies. I found this air filter AF1757, it says its a motorcraft and it’s $65.90 on Amazon, which is a pretty excellent deal. Is this the same AIS filter that we use in our OEM boxes? Has anyone used this filter? Where are y’all getting your air filters from and what are the prices? I know some can be very pricey but so can a new 7.3 Engine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed on the ad at Amazon that air filter is made in China. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. Is it the same size as the AIS filter? It looks like someone in the comment section said they had to change their original box to one this filter would fit.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
The "AIS" is an OEM part. However, it is an upgrade to the original flat OEM filter that came in the 7.3's. The " AIS " upgrade was a filter box upgrade with an (on flow axis) oval element and replacement vacume limit gage.
I no longer trust ANYTHING automotive on EBAY or AMAZON to be actually OEM and don't have time to become a counterfeit parts expert. I buy from those I trust and don't quibble about a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
The "AIS" is an OEM part. However, it is an upgrade to the original flat OEM filter that came in the 7.3's. The " AIS " upgrade was a filter box upgrade with an (on flow axis) oval element and replacement vacume limit gage.
From inspecting the air intake tube and turbo on my truck it appears my OEM flat filter has been doing an adequate job. Looking at the pictures of the two it doesn’t appear the AIS has a larger surface area (exit side - where air flows into air intake pipe towards turbo) than the OEM flat filter even though the AIS is deeper, so perhaps the flat filter would need changed more often. What exactly makes the AIS better? Just trying to learn something.......thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes, it's the right size for someone with the "upgraded" Ford AIS filter. As to where it's made I'm not sure if the ones from Ford\RiffRaff are still made in China but I suspect they all are.

Attached in info on the AIS

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
From inspecting the air intake tube and turbo on my truck it appears my OEM flat filter has been doing an adequate job. Looking at the pictures of the two it doesn’t appear the AIS has a larger surface area (exit side - where air flows into air intake pipe towards turbo) than the OEM flat filter even though the AIS is deeper, so perhaps the flat filter would need changed more often. What exactly makes the AIS better? Just trying to learn something.......thanks!
The original is a known leaker has uneven contact to the seal area and it is prone to break the flimsy hold down clips. After years of complaints about " dusted " engines Ford applied the AIS as an upgrade that users had to purchase. I believe you are significantly off on your comparison. In two dimensions, L & W, the original and AIS are roughly equivalent. However, add D, depth the dimension and the type and improvement in filter media the AIS is exponentially more capable of filtration and consequently engine protection. I typically get 40K or so from a 1757 element.
It's a longevity upgrade, quantifiable by oil analysis. It's not a performance filter. I have no issue with power, mileage or lack of boost when I need it. For the red light dragster, too restrictive.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
547 Posts
original is a known leaker has uneven contact to the seal area and it is prone to break the flimsy hold down clips. After years of complaints about " dusted " engines Ford applied the AIS as an upgrade that users had to purchase. I believe you are significantly off on your comparison. In two dimensions, L & W, the original and AIS are roughly equivalent. However, add D, depth the dimension and the type and improvement in filter media the AIS is exponentially more capable of filtration and consequently engine protection. I typically get 40K or so from a 1757 element.
It's a longevity upgrade, quantifiable by oil analysis. It's not a performance filter. I have no issue with power, mileage or lack of boost when I need it. For the red light dragster, too restrictive.
Yeppers stock is really bad... Ford should have done this a recall, it's very much like the 6.0 filter

·
Registered
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 Auto CC LB 7.3 3.73 axles 4” exhaust
111 Posts
If you have improved turbocharger on your truck you want airflow. If you plan on spending time in the desert or dirt roads go with the AIS from the ford dealer or trusted source. Stock filter sufficient for most folks.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Yeah, my driving is 98% on paved roads. In West Central Illinois where I hunt there’s lots of chat roads, but I always stay far back from the nearest vehicles so as not to drive into a plume of dust with the Zoodad Mod sucking it in.

·
Registered
547 Posts
:) In all my years of driving a 7.3 and being on forums I've never read anymore defending the stock 7.3 air filter... But to each his own

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
:) In all my years of driving a 7.3 and being on forums I've never read anymore defending the stock 7.3 air filter... But to each his own
Thread was started in 2009....... see post #3

this was more along the lines of what I was curious about.......see SmokeyWrens Data

·
Registered
547 Posts
10-4, when I bought my 99 truck 15 years ago the stock intake was as smokey said below
"warped all out of shape" and leaking. But on the other side if you are driving around on at a min of a 19-year-old truck, at this point what the hay... For myself, I plan on driving my 99 till death as far as I can see and want it to last and a better intake is no biggy.

But hey it's good to see some 7.3 posts, (not on facebook) not many 7.3 folks are still around ...slowly getting smaller and smaller... back 15 years ago there were a hundred pages on 7.3 engine crackle... :)

"That's the reason today. By now the stock airbox has warped all out of shape and needs to be replaced with something that will tightly seal between the filter and the airbox.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
👍 I happened across one of those FB 7.3 forums, it was absolutely terrible with lots of bad advice being given out. Glad for our group and the history in the advanced search. I too wish it were more active. Everyone in my area is still looking for 7.3’s and they’re going top dollar. AIS isn’t totally out of the question for lower exhaust temps if I ever start towing heavy, but then I have to build something different to hold my fuse holder and 600A On/Off switch for my big winch😉

·
Registered
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 Auto CC LB 7.3 3.73 axles 4” exhaust
111 Posts
@Big Horn , I concur on air cleaner performance, stock is getting me by now. Is it good filtration? Maybe just okay . AIS is excellent. I’m not running a Big Ass turbo. I change mine frequently. Dam mice moving into it. So it is inspected frequently .

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Good thread.
The original is a known leaker has uneven contact to the seal area and it is prone to break the flimsy hold down clips. After years of complaints about " dusted " engines
YesSir, I have broken the actual molded plastic that the metal spring clips are attached to.

I keep looking for a good deal on the AIS system...I think about 5 years of looking now.
Even check “parting out” ads on Craigslist.

That truck just sits in storage, maybe 1,000 miles a year for now. Its my spare for when I get real old since it has a 4R100 and not a clutch.

Hopefully by then, I will have found a deal on an AIS “kit”.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Good thread.

YesSir, I have broken the actual molded plastic that the metal spring clips are attached to.

I keep looking for a good deal on the AIS system...I think about 5 years of looking now.
Even check “parting out” ads on Craigslist.

That truck just sits in storage, maybe 1,000 miles a year for now. Its my spare for when I get real old since it has a 4R100 and not a clutch.

Hopefully by then, I will have found a deal on an AIS “kit”.
Since the AIS was an upgrade for a discontinued 7.3 model just finding a new one is difficult. A good deal as in reduced price is unlikely for an AIS assembly. There is an alternative better than the stock system and a good high performance choice a Tymar system. I don't like that whooshing sound but some do.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,048 Posts
I have ran the TYMAR set up on my 96 for over 20 years now and I have never heard the whooshing sound. Some do some don't.

It's like the high pressure cross over line, some say that they can hear a difference and some don't hear a thing, I didn't hear anything.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I made my own. Used the K&N tube, attached a Donalson filter to it, and presto, Tymar intake. Truck came with a stock replacement K&N, but I could see the beginnings of dust getting through. No issues with the donalson, and I don't notice a difference in sound.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts