The Diesel Stop banner

AIR IMPACT GUN SUGGESTIONS?

10K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  catdiesel0631 
#1 ·
I am looking into making a purchase of an air impact gun. I would be need it for removing lug nuts etc. I have a oasis compressor with a 6gal tank to run it in my truck. Oasis assures me that the one I bought will run a 1/2" drive? Suggestions help? I would imagine bigger would be better ie 1/2" drive? Although not ruling out a 3/8".
What does everyone think or suggest?

Thanks.........
Frank.

#2 ·
Ingersoll Rand 1/2. With enough air it will do anything you need and never break. I have one that is twenty years old, with 100 lbs. it will snap off a lug nut if I need it to.

#4 ·
Ingersoll Rand used to be/still is "the" name in pneumatic equipment and compressors, but is that IR's standard production or something for Northern only? I've never seen that particular IR wrench. Must be the new designer series. Sometimes I'm leary of tools from Northern and Harbor Fright. That is a good price if it's a good wrench. I paid over 300.00 for my Dayton some years ago. It's only rated at 550 and I use it to collapse pinion gear crush sleeves. Which is the hardest thing I've ever done with a wrench, so 625 should do anything plus some more. You may want to check the amount of air is uses(versus the pressure). It takes a lot more compressor to run 90PSI at 20SCFM than to run 120PSI at 10SCFM.

#5 ·
I have an older slightly different version of this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200051674_200051674

Notice it says "Made in USA" but the one you linked does not. I think that it is probably there cheapo version.

Mine kicks @$$ but it needs a ton of air. It says 80 psi max but it can't do anything with 80 it needs 120psi(which by the time it get through my 2 hoses is 80). It destroyed a impact socket(cheap Pittsburg tool from harbor freight) on the caliper mount bolts on my truck. Those were the only bolts it has ever had a problem with and after I got a new Craftsman socket it got them out.

#7 ·
Snap-On XT7100 is the only way to go. Pricey, but very strong. I've used it when a 3/4" couldn't budge lug nuts on grain trucks, and it took them off.
We kids got Dad one for Christmas, he loves it.

#8 ·
If money is no object in this epartment, get the newest Snap-On gun, it will flat out DESTROY all the other guns on the market.

If you don't want to spend that much, IR 1/2" Titanium guns are very good, I just picked up another one for $253 band new. My last one lasted 4 years, and I regularly used it to take off semi lug nuts and worked it very hard 6 days a week.

My old IR Titanium will still tighten stuff up, it just refuses to loosen anything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif I'm gonna tear it apart and fix it, then it'll go in my truck.

Dave

#9 ·
Also I prefer the Titanium over the Thunder gun, the Thunder gun is heavier than the Titanium and is harder to control at low speeds.

My Titanium is only 4 lbs., much easier to throw around all day then my Thunder gun.

Dave

#10 ·
#11 ·
I just got an IR titanium from sears. It was the most expensive (and highest torque-rated) 1/2" gun they had in the store, and it cost me about $300 with tax. IR has the regular torque rating that applies to any impact gun, then they have a second number called NBT. I'm not making this up, that stands for Nut Busting Torque. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif The obvious jokes aside, apparently that means that it will break loose stuff torqued to that figure. This gun has an NBT rating of 1000 ft/lbs. I have not used the gun enough yet to really test it, so I can only say that it has had no difficulties with anything I've thrown at it so far. It feels like that with enough air pressure it will probably break stuff off if it doesn't come loose.

#12 ·
If all You want to do is light truck tire work the ThunderGun is great. I have a CP-734....the old standard from 20-25 yrs ago and Son's ThunderGun is two, maybe three times the impact of My old 734. I have "PLENTY of Air" also....7-1/2 hp 2-stage compressor W/ 80 gal. tank and 1/2" dia hose. Your little 6-gal. tank and probably 1/4" hose, even 3/8" hose will be Your limiting factor. If You plan on using the impact much You'll need WAY more air starage capacity. I'd plumb up an aux. air tank even if it ends up being "Portable", like a 10-11 gal portable airtank plumbed into Your compressor with a TEE.

When I first got the CP-734 My comprssor only had an 8-gal. tank and was driven with a 3/4 HP motor. Even with the comprssor running and showing 100-110 PSI on the gauge at most I could break 2 lugnuts loose before I had to start waiting on the compressor to catch back up. Thank goodness I had an F-150 w/5 bolt wheels instead of the PSD.

Son's work is A good Snap-On customer....Our next impact will probably be a 3/8" Snap-On.

#13 ·
ok....I've got the Harbor Freight one - Earthquake they call it and it is the 625ft-lb one - been real happy with it on my 5hp gas compressor. It lives in the bed of my truck and has yet to fail me - so I though it was a pretty good deal so far.

#14 ·
ha no one mentioned IF he makes full power in the impact it will only be for about 10 sec before it's so low on air it's powerless....6 gal is nothing.....

#16 ·
I bust loose semi lug nuts with my IR Titanium, but it won't get the really rusty ones, but usually the new 1/2" Snap-On gun will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

We do have a 3/4" gun in the shop, but it takes time to go get it and the big hose out, much faster to grab a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter and the big socket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

#17 ·
If you are never going to need it for something any bigger than the size of a lug nut on our trucks. Get yourself one of these and never look back click me

18V cordless and badass! Way faster than air, hits just as hard and your aren't dragging/tripping over stupid air lines. I was a total non-believer until I got a chance to use one regualarly for the last few months. They totally rock.

#18 ·
Ingersoll Rand IR231. Sheared the head off a 1/2" lag bolt I was trying to remove from wood. Busted more frozen nuts loose than I can remember. I had a Campbell Hausfeld that wasn't even a good paperweight.

#19 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Ingersoll Rand IR231. Sheared the head off a 1/2" lag bolt I was trying to remove from wood. Busted more frozen nuts loose than I can remember. I had a Campbell Hausfeld that wasn't even a good paperweight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Campell Hausefeld and Chicago Pnuematic are both junk.

#21 ·
[ QUOTE ]
If money is no object in this epartment, get the newest Snap-On gun, it will flat out DESTROY all the other guns on the market.

If you don't want to spend that much, IR 1/2" Titanium guns are very good, I just picked up another one for $253 band new. My last one lasted 4 years, and I regularly used it to take off semi lug nuts and worked it very hard 6 days a week.

My old IR Titanium will still tighten stuff up, it just refuses to loosen anything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif I'm gonna tear it apart and fix it, then it'll go in my truck.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

my Titanium had problems with the plastic vanes inside. they are falling apart. i oiled it everytime i ran it. also the coating inside where the vanse run was comming off. it was blowing lots of air out of the nose. i sent it out for rebuilt, now it is like new. i love it. nice and light but still strong. mine is 5 years old now. used everyday on semi's

#22 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

my Titanium had problems with the plastic vanes inside. they are falling apart. i oiled it everytime i ran it. also the coating inside where the vanse run was comming off. it was blowing lots of air out of the nose. i sent it out for rebuilt, now it is like new. i love it. nice and light but still strong. mine is 5 years old now. used everyday on semi's

[/ QUOTE ]

To much oil..Oil and plastic do not like each other. My old IR has no plastic parts.

#23 ·
I dont have any experience turning wrenches or running impact but...lol........all the "snap on" one I have owned or friends have have blown up long before a IR lets go.

Matter fact my friends new $350 3/8's impact has been in the "shop" 3 times. Cant go wrong with a IR composite gun.

Both of my composite IR guns lasted 4 years before they both let go about 1 month ago. Thats used and BEATEN daily with very little oil and only greased them when they were new. Im too lazy to oil my guns every time I use them, but I do drain my air tanks daily though.

My line of work is generally the ultimate test to tooling in the dirt and field

#24 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I bust loose semi lug nuts with my IR Titanium, but it won't get the really rusty ones, but usually the new 1/2" Snap-On gun will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

We do have a 3/4" gun in the shop, but it takes time to go get it and the big hose out, much faster to grab a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter and the big socket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

If a 1/2 impact will bust semi lugs loose then you guys need a new 1" impact to tighten them LOL in NO WAY SHAPE or form should a semi lug be loose enough for ANY half inch to bust on.

#26 ·
I know,,its stamped right in the side of them.......BUT, most all tire shops gun them on with a 1" impact till they wont turn.

I have seen all too many wheels fall off trucks around quarry's.

Matter fact I bet I see atleast 2-3 trucks a week on a heavily trucked highway that looses a set of duals from loose lugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.