The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been surging, found a hole in fuel line from filter to ip caused by rubbing. Replaced that hose then still surging. Replaced orings and two caps that were only leaking if I grabbed them while running. Now still really hard starting. Noticed some possible fuel in the valley pan. Very hard to see because it's a van. If the air intrusion/ leak is coming from ip where is a good place to start? Any other ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fuel in the valley pan most likely is from the o-rings and return lines between the injectors. Find a quality fuel injection kit similiar to this one: Fuel Injection Install Kit based on your year and model. I did mine on a F250 and it wasn't too bad. But not sure on a van.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Fuel in the valley pan most likely is from the o-rings and return lines between the injectors. Find a quality fuel injection kit similiar to this one: Fuel Injection Install Kit based on your year and model. I did mine on a F250 and it wasn't too bad. But not sure on a van.
I would think it would be easier if you pull the doghouse off. It's all right there, no reaching across a radiator/fender.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Fuel in the valley pan most likely is from the o-rings and return lines between the injectors.
No it isn't. Fuel from leaking O-rings or drainback lines runs down into the depressions where the glow plugs screw in, not the valley. Fuel on the valley pan is generally a leaking front seal on the IP or the rubber seal on the filter to IP steel line where it connects to the rear of the pump. The IP has a bleed hole at the front of the housing so if the front seal fails fuel will run on to the valley rather than in to the crankcase.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, is the steel line from the filter something I can tighten? These vans suck for getting to the injection pump. Will the leak at the ip act the same as any other air leak? Drain back and surge?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Yep, it's basically a rubber compression sleeve that goes over the steel line. It needs to be snug but not overtight or you will split the sleeve. If it's taking in air or leaking fuel there the symptom will be hard starting after sitting overnight same as leaking drainback lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts