The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2013 F250 King Ranch 4x4 a little over a month ago to tow my 35' 10k lb camper. I use a Reese WD hitch with the camper, so I didn't pay any attention to the suspension on the truck. I was mowing my yard a few days ago and noticed that the truck has air bags on it. I know I'm dumb for not looking to see what it had when I bought it, but it was a rush job and I've been to busy to check it out.

I crawled under the rear axle to see what I had, and it's a set of Air Lift bags with nothing attached to them but a plain plastic hose. There are no fittings on either hose, and they are not connected to anything. There is no controller in the cab, nor are there any mounting holes that would suggest the previous owner had removed a controller.

My question is, what do I need to complete this suspension system? I looked around on Air Lift's website, and saw some compressor setups, but is that all I need? I don't mind having one pressure setting for both bags, I don't need a dual setup. Am I damaging my suspension by running these on 0 psi? I have no idea which model of bag they are to know if they have an internal jounce bumper.

I'm totally new to both heavy duty pickups and air bag suspension, so any help anyone can give me is awesome.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The bags should have a minimum of 10 psi in them. In lieu of a compressor, many folks run a hose and install a schrader valve type of fitting near the license plate and use an external compressor to air the bags up. I would prefer each bag to be on its own line...for two reasons, first, you may need to air one bag up more than the other to level the truck. Second, if both bags are connected into a single line, the load could shift the air to one side or the other, especially if in a turn. Separated air bags will give you more stability.

Check on the Air Lift web site, they have install manuals and you can see how to hook them up.

Cale

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I ended up doing is getting 2 1/4" compression schrader valves and using them in place of my top 2 license plate bolts. I might eventually go with an onboard air compressor, but for now this is fine. I inflated them to 8 psi to start with and the suspension was noticeably smoother on the road.

Thanks for your input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts