The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering if I should get air ride for my truck mostly wanting it for better ride when not towing do more regular driving than towing. How much is it and how long does it take to do when all said and done. Mostly wondering this because im taking bed off next month and figured it would be alot easier when bed is off. dont know much about air ride so just trying to learn Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If you are looking for better ride when unloaded, the only real answer is a full air ride system that eliminates all or most of the factory springs. Something like the Kelderman system.

If you are talking about just throwing a couple of air bags over the rear axle, like Firestone RideRite or airlift, it will do nothing to help....unless you still remove some of the factory leafs and let the truck ride on the bags all the time. Using them the way most people do with the factory suspension in tact, they only help when the truck is loaded.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Phil G is correct the system you require is the to get rid of the factory springs and fit a complete air bag system like the Kelderman system.
If you fit the Firestone system like i have it will only be useful full for towing and helping with weight in the tub, other than that if you have a lot of pressure in the F/S air bags when unloaded it will give you a rough ride.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for info its not what I was wanting to hear but its what I needed to hear so thanks. Not wanting to pay over 3500 for suspension. Would you know of any good shocks that would make a bit of a better ride. I have a 2in leveling kit so im sure this does not help.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I used these ones [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-187297-Lift-Front-Shock/dp/B004WO9S5I/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1447703522&vehicle=2002-54-668-656---6--3501---2---1-0&sr=1-2&ymm=2002%3Aford%3Af-250+super+duty&keywords=bilstein+5100[/ame] all round , i have Firestone air x4 and find these shocks to be good value, you can shop around and may find something at a lower price.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Phil G is right on the money I have just the rear bags for towing and they make a major difference.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The Firestone rep used to travel around years ago in a pickup with the ride rite bags and almost all of the leafs removed. I heard this second hand, (I didn't get to see or ride in the truck). I was told the ride was excellent...and I guess in theory it would work well...but I'm just not sure I would truck these bags or the factory leaf pack missing a bunch of leafs, to be up reliable long term especially is heavily loaded. I think I would be more comfortable sitting on a set of Granning commercial bags if I was going to go that route. Nothing against Firestone, they might be fine, but it just seams as they were designed with the intent of begin helpers, not your whole rear suspension.

BTW, Reyco Granning actually makes a kit for the 350 cab chassis:

Reyco Granning » Suspensions » MODEL RD975F

·
Registered
704 Posts
My rear Excursion spring were fairly worn out and sagging (low spring rate). I added Firestone Ride Rite air bags to the rear to make up for the loss in spring rate. With 30PSI in the bags, my ride and ride quality are pretty good. It rides smoother over bumps than my previous F250 did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts