The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little history first: Because of previous instances of the OEM WIF warning, I had added a Dieselsite water separator (between the tank and the HFCM) and a BD Diesel Performance WIF warning kit along with a new sensor. I have yet to see any water in the separator, but the kit comes on for 3 seconds whenever I turn right or hit a rough spot. That after setting it for the 6.4; in universal mode it stayed on. I had originally thought about adding the lift pump with separator but wanted to keep costs down. I have since added the AirDog anyway. So much for keeping costs down.

After I had the new pump in hand for a few days, I had 3 instances of P2291-Low fuel pressure at the injectors while cranking. The first time it died momentarily, but caught before shutting down. The latest occurences required a restart after which it ran fine. Stopped at dealer and tried to discuss it there but all that particular service person could say was that it sounded like it would be expensive and that my usual mechanic would not be back till the end of this week.
Since I already had the lift pump I decided to go ahead and install it. I figured that it would need serious priming afterwards to restart.

Friday night, still warm (40) I installed the pump itself. It is mounted inside the frame rail just forward of the tank and where the lower rail begins full width. That thing is heavy. The lower mounting bolt should be another 1" longer.

Saturday morning: Looking at the way the filters stick down, I decided that relocating it up to the forward skid plate just behind the transfer case would be better. Turns out it won't fit there, so back to my original mount. It is still heavy. Then I installed the sump. I had bought the AirDog off ebay from Rudy's Diesel since they included a free sump for the same base price as others. Turns out I drilled immediately in front of the original pickup and fuel level float. Although the tank was difficult to drill, and I did so slowly to keep the spray down, this part went prettly smoothly. Then I ran the fuel lines. Getting the engine side quick disconnects from the HFCM apart was a bit of challenge, I did succeed. The instructions that come with the AirDog are quite good, plus a little assistance came from YouTube. The push lock on the return line of the lift pump seemed to be loose, but I put that down to almost cutting that line too short. Then I draped the wiring harness down from the engine compartment. I reconnected the original supply line to the HFCM just to keep it out of the way.

Sunday: Certainly not as warm as Saturday. Connected the wiring. Opted to wire direct to the OEM HFCM connector instead of the fuse panel. Also connected the power supply line to the battery instead of to the alternator. That will get changed in warmer weather. Key ON and the pump is alive! Note here: The separator drains with the valve closed up to the filter body, and is closed when screwed "OUT".
Found out that the vapor return line had the wrong connector on the pump end of the line, hence why it appeared loose. Fortunately, the included 20' of hose overcame that error. Right fitting and spray is gone. Now to prime. However much I cycled the pump (at least 10 times), it wasn't enough. The truck started and shut down. The green wrench showed up, and my Autel scanner confirmed P2291. Resetting and priming still did not work, plus air still comes out the Schrader valve. I finished up tying up all the wiring and lines and quit for the time being. The batteries will get charged and I'll still work on the air evacuation.

Pro for the AirDog: Excellent water separation; good instructions (pay attention!)
Cons: The trigger wire should be able to connect directly to OEM plug, after all the fuse end is spliced on. No WIF alert: Response to that question was "We say to crack the water separator open at every fill up to check the fuel for water. You should see water first then diesel. If you don’t see any water then you know you are getting good fuel! We say to try and fill up from the same place or mainly through the same companies!" This from the Sales/Marketing Manager at PureFlow. Can I throw the BS flag?
Instructions say to use proper torque when bolting the pump to the mount, and the mount to the frame, but no values given. I obviously overtorqued since the mounting plate is now slightly bent.

I considered the FlowMax from BD Diesel because it had connectors to the OEM power and WIF sensor, and a 5 year warranty. The WIF uses the onboard system rather than the improved unit that comes with the kit. No good answer there to my question about that. Although I don't like not having a WIF alert, I believe the AirDog will serve me better. And if I get the paperwork in by the next two weeks, the warranty is lifetime.

Stay tuned. I will update will I get the truck (2008 F350 DRW CC LB ETR MME MCIDU) back on the road. I just hope it doesn't cost me a HPFP. The WIF kit and the add-on separator will be going away for about 60% of cost. This particular separator will only handle an OEM flow rate of 100 gph max; it will not handle the DF-165 flow or I would keep it in the line.

Photos later. Probably much later.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rudy's Sump

On OP I forgot to mention that the morning after I filled the main tank from my RDS Aux tank, I found that the sump is leaking. Crap! That means during the week when I get home I will be draining that tank and pouring it back into the aux tank. Through a filter and funnel arrangement. Then it looks like that new tube of sealant will get used. Good thing I really like this truck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's a couple pics of the AirDog II 165 pump installed on my '08 F350 DRW. It's located in the only place I found room for it inside the frame rail. There would have been a couple places if I put it outside the rail, and a pressure gauge would fit then also. Perhaps a 2-wheel drive truck could have it mounted up where the transfer case is on mine. I'm not yet done with it as I want to put a couple ball valve shutoffs downstream for filter changes. I left the original main fuel line from the tank connected to the HFCM; if you do that, make sure that all other ports on the HFCM are plugged or you stand the chance of dumping fuel on the ground by overfilling and by siphon action. Trust me on that.
I ended up getting another male quick connector plugged into the line with a piece of fuel hose and a plug on the end of that. End of problem.

The original separator filter leaked at the valve. I'm using a CARQUEST 86616 and have two Baldwin 1275 filters on hand.

The sump was a pain. It took three tries (last one with permatex) to get it sealed. I placed it just ahead of where the original pickup and fuel quantity sending unit sits. I should have gone another 1/2" forward. I had to cut out the rock pan under the sump; I cut it square and bent it down to make a shield for the sump.

Propaganda for the pump is that it improves starting. Nope. With OEM the truck usually started as soon as the key was turned ON; now it seems to need 2 or 3 rotations of the starter. But it does start every time. There is also the claim of better mpg. Nope. At best, it hasn't lost any. Then there is the claim of smoother acceleration. OH, YEAH! This is subjective but I do think it is much smoother and quieter. Also not so much smoke.
I do wish the WIF sensor was still in the system even as unreliable as it was. Maybe I will eventually find a separator filter with a see-through bottom that fits.

https://imgur.com/Nti9RM3
https://imgur.com/go7ySX5
https://imgur.com/nZRNsNU

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love the tutorial and pictures but you are right, it does look exposed when mounted there. I think I would also come up with a 1/4 inch steel skid plate shield to protect that pump from 4x4 mishaps such as bottoming the frame out on something etc...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
An update: I now use the Baldwin BF1275 for the water separator and Donaldson P551315 fuel filter. The Baldwin is better than the original WS100; the Donaldson has a higher efficiency than the stock (FF100-2), and is nearly equal to the Cat filter.

I had been using the NAPA 3420/WIX 33420 6 micron for fuel filtering. Baldwin BF 7632 are 5 micron. I just received 3 Baldwin BF7531 fuel filters that I am not going to use as they are 10 micron filters. The CAT 1R0751 is 2 micron at 99.8 efficiency , and the Donaldson P551315 is a 3 micron unit and spins right on.

I had been getting some reddish brown particles from the WS so I changed it and the fuel filter. So far, so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts