The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my neighbor texted me this morning, my alarm on my truck was going off last night at 1am. I went out this morning and nothing looked unusual. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of this system? Or flat out turn off? We live out in the country and if this continues i'd be ok with just a simple locking the doors.

Any help with this would be great. I did research that if I had Forscan I could go in and see exactly what time it went off and what sensor was triggered but I thought i would ask on here first.

PS - its a 2019 F350 XL with STX package and factory remote start system.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I just ordered the OBD with HS/MS Can switch to hook into my computer to use Forscan. Due to Quoyvid, Amazon says it wont show up for 2 weeks, uggg.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok doing some on my own thinking here. I had the truck alarm set last night to "ALL SENSORS". So this means that if one of the internal motion detectors picked up something last night it could have triggered it. I went into the display and changed the setting from "ALL SENSORS" to "ASK ON EXIT". For now I will only set the Perimeter sensors for the time being. This will only monitor the tailgate, doors and hood. If I still have nuisance alarms then maybe i have a faulty tailgate/door/hood sensor or something going on.

Who knows with all this fancy stuff, my old 04 didn't even have key fob lol. Or maybe I have a mouse living inside my cab, lol.

I'm excited to get the Forscan because I want to disable all them stupid Ford "Ding ding ding" things on start up. Plus I really like the Forscan PID information and oscilliscope features.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can determine when and what sensor was triggered in Forscan, someone mentioned it on a Forum but did not indicate how he did that. If someone could help with that, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
When you get your foreskin I recommend FIRST performing a self test on the BCM (body control module) to identify any faults with the system. Then, access and view the following parameters in the BCM:
  • Most Recent Alarm Trigger Event (ALARM_EVT_1)
  • 2nd Most Recent Alarm Trigger Event (ALARM_EVT_2)
  • 3rd Most Recent Alarm Trigger Event (ALARM_EVT_3)
  • 4th Most Recent Alarm Trigger Event (ALARM_EVT_4)
These will list the last 4 alarm events. These two actions should help point you in the right direction. If you have any circuit or network codes I highly recommend having your favorite FOrd dealer service department take a peek at it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4, I ordered my OBD to laptop on amazon and got Forscan ready to go on my computer now. I'll see what I can see. I have not had anymore alarms since last time but I have also been only allowing the perimeter alarms be active.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Can you post what items you ordered specifically? I'd love to get rid of the honking when I close the doors while exiting the truck with keys in my pocket.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep here ya go

OHP OBD adapter

Then register at Forscan
Then download Forscan after approved by their staff
Then I bought the 3 year subscription (2 month trail is free).
Register license

Note - my research indicated that the hard wired OBD adapter has a better connection than the blue tooth. up to you though.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thank you!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well forscan arrived today. hooked it up and found that the past two alarm events were the hood switch. I didn't see how to get a time stamp anywhere.

For now I will monitor that and if it does it again I'll do the test and see what comes of that.

Didn't do any programming changes yet, the PID information is so cool. I love how you can see DEF tank level %, temperature, Fuel rail pressure, Fuel rail temperature and both cooling system temp sensors.

I have an Edge insight but hate why they won't display ECT#2, VGT %, Fuel rate temp, pressure etc. The information is there.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Great! Kowing what the trigger is you can do a few things to diagnose this intermittent problem. The hood ajar switch is a single pole switch (integrated into the hood latch) that is normally closed when the hood is closed. When the hood is opened, the hood ajar switch opens to indicate an open hood. So if we know that the hood is closed and latched when the alarm is triggered you can disconnect the switch and jump the circuits at the connector temporarily and wait to see if there are any more false alarm events. If not the hood switch is defective. If you can live monitor the switch parameter you can also open the hood, manually latch the hood latch and perform a visual inspection and wiggle the harness from the latch as far as you can follow the harness to check for any bad connections or wiring concerns.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great! Kowing what the trigger is you can do a few things to diagnose this intermittent problem. The hood ajar switch is a single pole switch (integrated into the hood latch) that is normally closed when the hood is closed. When the hood is opened, the hood ajar switch opens to indicate an open hood. So if we know that the hood is closed and latched when the alarm is triggered you can disconnect the switch and jump the circuits at the connector temporarily and wait to see if there are any more false alarm events. If not the hood switch is defective. If you can live monitor the switch parameter you can also open the hood, manually latch the hood latch and perform a visual inspection and wiggle the harness from the latch as far as you can follow the harness to check for any bad connections or wiring concerns.
FYI - I did watch the hood switch PID live while opening and closing hood. Didn't see any issues. I also visually inspected the micro switch and didn't see anything to weird.

PS - thanks for your advice and help on this. Your input and knowledge is what makes these sites priceless!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts