The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 01 excursion threw an SES and I pulled the codes. Shows banks 2,4,6,8 glow plugs "open circuit" and initially showed a p1316. I cleared the codes and the glow plugs came back immediately. P1316 hasn't come back.

I ohm'd the connector on the driver side and all glow plugs were less than 1 ohm. I went farther back to the glow plug controller and shows 1.2-1.3 ohms. Is it possible the uvc harness is melted or something like that and still showing acceptable resistance?

I ordered a new glow plug controller to try that and if it doesn't help going to take it back. The glow plug controller has the bank that's out on a different side of the controller so just a thought.

I thought it was odd it showed an icm error code with a full bank out, and it does have a bit of a rough idle.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
A full bank out on an Ex is almost always the controller if the wiring ohms correctly. If your harness had melted, it would have shorted out on something and you'd be seeing zero resistance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A full bank out on an Ex is almost always the controller if the wiring ohms correctly. If your harness had melted, it would have shorted out on something and you'd be seeing zero resistance.
Should the dash glow plug light come on momentarily each time even when hot? I replaced the glow plug controller today, noticed no dash light still. Followed directions to test the relay as well and showed no 12v leaving the relay to the controller so replaced it as well. Now I can hear the relay click where I never did before, but no dash light. I show the relay gets 12v signal with key, where the ground side of the switch immediately goes to 0 with the key I'm assuming showing the ecu is shutting it down. Weather is warm and truck was warm, I was just anticipating to see it for even a second on the dash before turning off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update. Now it's throwing a p0670 code. So lost the full bank of glow plug codes and now this one. Starting to get frustrated already!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Did this code show with the new controller or the old controller. If your glow plugs ohm correctly this may be the harness. broken wire/wires. or maybe a bad glow plug module.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New controller started this code. I'm not currently getting the code anymore but no glow
Plug light on the dash. I thought maaaaaybe the light was burned out, but I came back to start it after a week of sitting in mid 40 weather and it wouldn't start unless plugged in.

Recap. It has a new glow plug relay and glow plug controller.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
There's a fair chance the new controller was bad out of the box. It happens all the time. Did you visually inspect the harness pins - inside and out? That would be my next step.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any way to test the controller? I've followed diagrams and found the plugs have 12v power and the module is getting 12v ground signal at start up from the computer.

Can anyone confirm for me the control module also controls the dash light for the glow plugs?

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Is there any way to test the controller? I've followed diagrams and found the plugs have 12v power and the module is getting 12v ground signal at start up from the computer.

Can anyone confirm for me the control module also controls the dash light for the glow plugs?
I don't know of a way to test the GP controller.

The GPC doesn't control the WTS light on the dash. The PCM has a circuit that controls the GP on time and a separate circuit that controls the WTS light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I ordered another glow plug controller yesterday to see if maybe the new one I just got was crap out of the box. If that doesn't work, going to pay for it to be checked. Be cheaper for someone else to diagnose at this point then throwing parts at it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts