The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
was driving my truck home and it was really rough. turned on a road and normally if i step on it it would blow out all of the carbon. well this time it shut off. this happened in november. since then i have replaced ficm, icp sensor, ipr sensor, hpop, and fuel pump and none of it has worked. i am stumped.
can anyone help?
did you start your own thread on this? did you find the problem. My 07 has done exactly what your you've described here. Just heard back from the local diesel shop and they have no clue what the deal is but all of the readings they took on their diagnostic tool tell them the truck should start. I have made the same repairs as you and still nothing. I know this is an old thread but I hope you can help.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
get a smart phone app so you can get and post your data. We can help with MOST things, but these trucks are complicated and with no data all we can do is guess. That can get expensive.

Torque Pro or ForScan (I like ForScan because it reads codes the best of all I have found). Then get an OBDII ELM327 adapter (WiFi for i-phone and BlueTooth for Android. I like the BAFX brand. They work with most any app.

Total cost $40 or so. Without it you will replace more than you need to - can cost thousands.

In the meantime -

- Verify proper oil (both too low and too high can cause problems).
- Make sure fuel filters aren't clogged (drain the water from the WIF drain on the primary filter and see if junk comes out. Also, if the fuel filters have gone more than 10,000 miles, then change them.
- Then (with a helper), remove the secondary fuel filter and have someone turn on the key (no cranking necessary). The fuel filter bowl should fill QUICKLY!
- Re-assemble the fuel filter and then do the same with the oil. Remove the filter and have someone crank. - - The oil filter bowl should fill in 8-10 seconds.
- Inspect the air "filter-minder" to make sure the air filter isn't plugged.
- Make sure that the fuel inertia switch hasn't activated.
- Verify that your batteries and all the cables are healthy
- When you crank, make sure that you are getting over 150 rpm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had similar problems once. Just out of the blue wouldn't start. Cranked until batteries went dead, charged em up, and nothing. Oil pressure sending unit wouldn't let it start (one on the left behind oil filter) replaced the part. Haven't had a bit of problems since. Maybe? Maybe not?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The oil pressure switch has nothing to do with starting. It goes to the dash gauge and that is it. PCM doesn't even see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
get a smart phone app so you can get and post your data. We can help with MOST things, but these trucks are complicated and with no data all we can do is guess. That can get expensive.

Torque Pro or ForScan (I like ForScan because it reads codes the best of all I have found). Then get an OBDII ELM327 adapter (WiFi for i-phone and BlueTooth for Android. I like the BAFX brand. They work with most any app.

Total cost $40 or so. Without it you will replace more than you need to - can cost thousands.

In the meantime -

- Verify proper oil (both too low and too high can cause problems).
- Make sure fuel filters aren't clogged (drain the water from the WIF drain on the primary filter and see if junk comes out. Also, if the fuel filters have gone more than 10,000 miles, then change them.
- Then (with a helper), remove the secondary fuel filter and have someone turn on the key (no cranking necessary). The fuel filter bowl should fill QUICKLY!
- Re-assemble the fuel filter and then do the same with the oil. Remove the filter and have someone crank. - - The oil filter bowl should fill in 8-10 seconds.
- Inspect the air "filter-minder" to make sure the air filter isn't plugged.
- Make sure that the fuel inertia switch hasn't activated.
- Verify that your batteries and all the cables are healthy
- When you crank, make sure that you are getting over 150 rpm
Wish I had seen your post sooner but I'm kind of a rookie at this forum stuff. Previous to seeing your post I ended up buying a scangauge for $169. I also just read on forums and watched YouTube vidoes and spend a bunch of money I apparently didn't need to spend as per your post. Tested my patients to the max. Finally I towed it to the local Diesel shop. They tell me everything they can see says the truck should start. Tow it again to the Ford dealership and after running a ton of diagnostics they tell me it's the injectors.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Nothing wrong w/ a scangaugeII. You can watch up to 4 parameters at all times. Not as easy w/ a phone and a WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, injectors are something that the average owner can't test well. You need an IDS system (dealership stuff).

Go Pokes. I graduated in 1979 ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nothing wrong w/ a scangaugeII. You can watch up to 4 parameters at all times. Not as easy w/ a phone and a WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, injectors are something that the average owner can't test well. You need an IDS system (dealership stuff).

Go Pokes. I graduated in 1979 ....
HA! Get out of here! What a small world! I graduated in 1990 and only left for one year and came back.

Got the truck back yesterday. It was way more money than I wanted to put into that thing but it's good to have it back. Need to avoid the repair shop for awhile though! Good to hear about the Scangauge II. I'm probably going to keep that thing active in the truck at all times. I may even do the App you are talking about as well. Seems very handy.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts