The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an aftermarket fuel tank selection valve that can be used in our trucks?

·
Registered
72 Posts
With a relay, I'd assume you could run any selector valve. I've used hydraforce valves in the past for auxilary tanks. They are rather durable if you get the viton seals. However, they wouldn't wire-up easy. You'd have to run a relay from the power supply of the stock valve to power the aftermarket valve. Also, you'd have to get creative with the fuel level sender wires... maybe run a manual switch or an NC relay. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Is there an aftermarket fuel tank selection valve that can be used in our trucks?
You can always convert to the old style used in diesel trucks. No electrical involved, they're brass and mount on the floor, far left between the seat edge and the door. The knob (turned manually) is above the floorboard, the valve is below. The original tank switch would only run the tank senders.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a new one off eBay. It was close to 300 and I can find the part number if you want but all the auto parts stores including the online ones show a different one than what I (and probably you) have. Easy install and everything clicked right up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can always convert to the old style used in diesel trucks. No electrical involved, they're brass and mount on the floor, far left between the seat edge and the door. The knob (turned manually) is above the floorboard, the valve is below. The original tank switch would only run the tank senders.
Wow, shouldn't be any maintenance problems with that valve! :smile2: What do I call that for an internet search?
So I would leave the factory valve in place to run the guage and hook the tank lines to the brass valve?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those valves don't have fuel return port do they? You need a 6 port valve.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
If you look, I said above you would have to use the original tank dashboard switch to switch tank sending units.
Like any diesel, the manual switch has return ports too. All the original fuel lines would have to be rerouted to it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Why don't you want to use the original-type? The original is most-likely a Pollack anyway.
...you'd have to get creative with the fuel level sender wires...
Not really - just move the pins around so the truck is wired like a gasser. The switch would directly switch the level senders.

(phone app link)
What do I call that for an internet search?
"Fuel tank selector valve"
...the fuel gauge won't switch between tanks.
With the dash switch rewired, you'd be able to CHECK the fuel level in each tank, without necessarily CHANGING to that tank. That's how early Broncos were set up: a switch on the dash for the fuel gauge, and a valve on the floor for the actual fuel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, would a valve like this one work? I'm assuming the connections are forward tank, back tank and lift pump.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, would a valve like this one work? I'm assuming the connections are forward tank, back tank and lift pump.
[/URL][/IMG]
IN my opinion no, You still have returning fuel to deal with , that is why you need a 6 port valve. This type of valve only works where there is no fuel returning to the tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This one is for marine use but it looks like I could make it work.
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts