The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted yesterday about the truck (1988 7.3 IDI) not turning over. After hooking it to a charger it started but not happily, then it ran good and sat at 12 or 13 volts for awhile so I decided to take it on a bit of a test drive through town. Well, after hitting about the 3rd or 4th stop sign the battery light came on and it shut off. I had the battery charger and a extension cord in the bed and it broke next to a friend of mines business so I thought the alternator probably went out. Well after 30 straight minutes of a 35 amp fast charger and then switching it to 200 amp start there was almost nothing. I get a small click from the starter then nothing. So I definitely need a new alternator and batteries, probably a starter. Does anyone know what amperage alternator these trucks came with? Most I see on Napa and oreillys are motocraft remanufactured 65 amps but they also sell power master 150 amp, any advice on which I should get?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
With the ambulance package, you would use the 150 amp. Without the ambulance package, 65 amps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts