The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so replacing the alternator i was thinking since i have emergency lights and a few more then most lights, would i be able to put a bigger one that puts out more amps or would that just mess things up? my truck does not have ambulance package.

·
Registered
73 Posts
so replacing the alternator i was thinking since i have emergency lights and a few more then most lights, would i be able to put a bigger one that puts out more amps or would that just mess things up? my truck does not have ambulance package.
Check your previous post about fire and wiring issue. I posted detailed info there about alternator and wiring and starter.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Go find a shop where they actually build alternators and starters. Not some place that orders them from somewhere and resells them - the kind of place where old guys in the back tear them apart and rebuild them. Then tell them what you have and ask what they've got. Buying new throw away alternators is a mug's game.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Uuuuhhh... Anyway, back to the TOPIC:
...would i be able to put a bigger one that puts out more amps or would that just mess things up?
Regardless how many lights or accessories the truck has, or what prep package it has: any alternator can be installed. 60A, 95A, 130A, 250A... In place of, OR in addition to any other alternator. Assuming the new alternator works properly & is wired properly: the voltage regulator will only cause it to put out what the truck needs at any moment. If it needs everything the alternator can do, that's what the VR will aim for. If it needs nothing, the VR will essentially "turn off" the alternator. If it needs something in between, the VR will regulate that. Whether there's one alternator or 5; each will operate independently of the others, but only supply what the others aren't supplying. All alternators of all years & makes work essentially the same, and can be swapped (as long as they're each installed & wired the way they were designed to be). But the Ford 3G (third generation; used from ~'93~03) is among the most-reliable ever, and is a popular swap on older Fords and many other makes.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Uuuuhhh... Anyway, back to the TOPIC:Regardless how many lights or accessories the truck has, or what prep package it has: any alternator can be installed. 60A, 95A, 130A, 250A... In place of, OR in addition to any other alternator. Assuming the new alternator works properly & is wired properly: the voltage regulator will only cause it to put out what the truck needs at any moment. If it needs everything the alternator can do, that's what the VR will aim for. If it needs nothing, the VR will essentially "turn off" the alternator. If it needs something in between, the VR will regulate that. Whether there's one alternator or 5; each will operate independently of the others, but only supply what the others aren't supplying. All alternators of all years & makes work essentially the same, and can be swapped (as long as they're each installed & wired the way they were designed to be). But the Ford 3G (third generation; used from ~'93~03) is among the most-reliable ever, and is a popular swap on older Fords and many other makes.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
YA nailed it & helped me too. I'm dealing with my own troubleshooting issue. Thanks

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Just be sure if you upgrade the alternator that you also upgrade the wiring, because the stock wiring may not be adequate to handle the extra amps and may overheat and burn up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts