The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum but have been reading a ton of great information over the past week. Thank you for such a great forum! I've learned more from this forum about Powerstrokes in the last week than I ever imagined.

My question is about Amsoil? I have never even heard of it (not kidding) until I came here. I've been on the site, it sounds great.

My questions are

Is everyone here in agreement that it's the best?
Do you run engine oil and tranny fluid?
How many miles until you do an oil change?

· Banned
5,245 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Is everyone here in agreement that it's the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... but you will get a lot of different replies. Extended oil change intervals are something that deserve careful consideration. After nearly 40 years in the automotive trades, I do not consider extended oil change intervals to be a wise decision.

· Registered
598 Posts
I LOVE SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL. Having said that.

AMOIL: Is a good Syn. oil, a little over priced for my tast, & with shipping....well.
If you are going to change your oil every 5k like the book says then any brand Oil & Filter will serve as long as they are DIESEL RATED.

Extended interval oil change is another story.
I suggest you read up on "Bypass Oil Systems" there are a number of blog's here that go into deep discussions on the subject.

As for ME:
Eng. Oil= "Shell Rotella-T 5w/40 Syn." (Wal-Mart #16.00 gal.)
Eng. Oil Filter= "Fleetguard LF-9027 Bypass".(Wabash Ford $25.00)
I take Oil samples every 5k and send to "Blackstone".
I change Oil & Filter when they say it's time.....So Far It seems I am averageing about 18K between oil changes.

Works for Me.

· Registered
254 Posts
Not everyone is in agreement with Amsoil; reason some of the oil is not certified API. 15W-40 is 5W-40 is not, I think. I run the 15W-40 for 15K or 1 year and the new 25K oil filter. I'm old school and still not sold on doing an analysis and never changing the oil, that's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I'm in the Air Force and we do analysis on the our aircraft engines but hey those are millions of dollars and a 24 quarts system @ $9.00 a quart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif you do the math.
Transmission fluid is another hot talk. (Flame suit on) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Do a search and you will see the talk. But Amsoil has a dual rated trans fluid, universal type, for all transmission and folks are not so fond of it. I used it now for 50K and no issues. I tow thru the summer and with the Tru-cool up front I don't see temps above 170. Amsoil does now have Torq-drive for our trucks so if you want that warm fuzzy you can get that.
Bottom line, which everyone will agree, is that synthetic no matter what brand is a better way to go but when you change it is up to you.

· Registered
924 Posts
Grampy Jim is correct about Amsoil. It must be good oil, but having worked for a lot of years for 2 different "big oil" companies, I can tell you that many large oil companies probably spend more on research to improve their products than Amsoil's total budget. Amsoil has NOT been proven to be superior to any of the majors' synthetics or blends. Using Amsoil will not make your engine last any more miles than any major brand of oil.

· Registered
3,728 Posts
I was am Amsoil dealer and big advocate of their products. I've been using their 2-stroke oil for over 20 years, and still do. BUT, after using their 5-30 Series 3000 synthetic, I started getting some bad info from Blackstone. Iron went way up after using it for 80k with filter and oil changes at 10-12k. I switched to Delo 400 15-40 and have been seeing good results from Blackstone ever since. I now have 182k on my truck engine. Just the difference in price for Amsoil vs Delo was enough to make me change out. You'll get alot of various opinions about oil here, so you may have to try and weed through it all and go for what you think is best for you. I would definately take a sample of oil when changing and send it to Blackstone.

· Registered
253 Posts
Bansheechick,

I run either Rotella 15-w-40 or Delo. I change oil and filter every 5k miles (mostly driving solo). If I am doing constant towing or hauling, I will change oil and filter at 3k miles.

As far as Amsoil goes, I stay clear of it (IE: tried it, got too high of and iron reading on oil analysis, went back to regular dino oil).

Synthetics do have and advantage over dino oil - cold weather starts are easier - that is the only advantage. There is no less wear with synthetics, no increase in MPG, no increase in power and torque.

Amsoil greatest advantage is its sales and marketing hype, not to mention the cost and lack of availibility to the consumer (IE: product is only thru authorized dealers).

Ask yourself a question - if Amsoil is so good, then why don't all the truck fleets use it? Thet won't, due to the costs involved.

As far as extended oil changes go, as mentioned above, I too am not a fan of this. You spent good money for your engine, stick with the owners' manual recommendation on oil changes, you can't go wrong.

If you want more peace of mind, send out a sample of used oil for analysis - to give you a baseline on how your engine is doing.

Butch Cassidy

· Registered
4,434 Posts
If you want some good info on oils, check out bobistheoilguy.com

I use Delo 400 15W40, and I change at 7 to 7.5k intervals, cause I'm cheap.

The guys who don't buy into extended oil changed need to step into the 21st century and get out of the horse & buggy era (I've always done it that way & you ain't gonna change my mind) and look at the facts and science behind it. The "oil is cheap insurance" crowd are going to learn soon that oil is not so cheap anymore & changing too soon is throwing money away.

Extended oil change intervals are a time honored and practical way of waving money and a precious resource. Truck fleets and the military have been doing it for decades, because its saves money in down time and maintenance. BUT they do it correctly, with scientific analysis on a regular PM schedule.

Synthetic oils are good, but expensive, and have their place if you need them. If you experience surging or hard starting in cold weather, the first thing I'd do is put some good syn 5W40 in. But, I'd also add a by-pass filter, and start taking OA's to see when to change it to recover the additional cost.

Look at your truck and your applications and then decide if EOI's are right for you.

· Registered
28 Posts
Here's my 2 cents on Amsoil. I'm just putting in an order for my '99 with 150k on the clock. Go to Amsoil.com and for $10 you can try a 6 month Preferred Customer account. I'm ordering 5 gallons of the 15-40 for 89.70+ shipping, which will be expensive, but I'll give it a try. (I have been running their products in wife's VW and my motorcycles, w/o an engine or gearbox issue, for almost 10 years.)Drain interval is 25K or one year on the 15W-40 HD Diesel Oil. Go the extra mile and get a by-pass dual filter system if you're gonna keep the truck a long time. A long time for us is 500K miles. Going to change the rear end over to their synthetic gear lube.

Lottsa oils out there with varying opinions, but Amsoil is not that difficult to get a hold of for the everyday Diesel guy. (No, it isn't available at Wal Mart but we don't shop at Wal Mart anyway.)

· Registered
254 Posts
I order it and it comes in 3 days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Getting ready for an oil change this week and I will cut the filter open. It one of the new 25K filters. I'm sure alot of guys would like to see inside it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I do not do extended oil changes either, usually 5k max on the diesel, 4k on the gassers. Synthetics are great, we use them in gas turbine aircraft engines(MIL-L-23699B if I remember correctly, stuff stinks). If I was to buy synthetics, I would go with Mobil1, easy to purchase(Wally World), no "club" to join, API certified. For diesels with hydraulic injectors, 5k would be the most miles I would go. With my 6.0, a pan of fresh RotellaT 15W-40 seemed to really perk up the engine, smooth the idle. If I was in very cold climates, synthetics would be the way to go. Those oil bathed spinning wheel gadgets at the RV shows are fun to watch, though.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your info everyone. I got the new truck home today and it's going tomorrow to get all the fluids changed. I think I am going to stick to Rotella. I changed oil on my last Powerstroke every 3000 miles, and it treated me pretty good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

· Registered
253 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all your info everyone. I got the new truck home today and it's going tomorrow to get all the fluids changed. I think I am going to stick to Rotella. I changed oil on my last Powerstroke every 3000 miles, and it treated me pretty good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bansheechick,

Good move, your really can't go wrong with Rotella. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Butch Cassidy

· Registered
115 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I do not do extended oil changes either, usually 5k max on the diesel, 4k on the gassers. Synthetics are great, we use them in gas turbine aircraft engines(MIL-L-23699B if I remember correctly, stuff stinks). If I was to buy synthetics, I would go with Mobil1, easy to purchase(Wally World), no "club" to join, API certified. For diesels with hydraulic injectors, 5k would be the most miles I would go. With my 6.0, a pan of fresh RotellaT 15W-40 seemed to really perk up the engine, smooth the idle. If I was in very cold climates, synthetics would be the way to go. Those oil bathed spinning wheel gadgets at the RV shows are fun to watch, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The factory recomended oil change interval on my '05 is 7500 miles. If Ford is willing to stand behind this number than that's the minimum I'm changing it at. There's no reason every other 6.0 shouldn't go that long.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.