The Diesel Stop banner

Anecdotal info on the 1999 7.3

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  dennisinaz 
#1 ·
Recently was a passenger in a 1999 F350 XLT, 4x4, SRW. The owner is a rancher. I've known him for a couple years (and know him to be a very straight shooter) and knew he "had a diesel" but didn't know what it was. We live about 4 hours a part so not much contact except via phone and usually pertaining to business.
(Yeah, I know I'm a little long winded)
Anyway, here I am sitting in the passenger seat of his truck, look over at the odometer and see 411,307 miles. Wow! I figure he's probably a gear head and devotes some amount of attention to keeping the mechanicals of his truck in top shape (the cosmetics are what you'd expect for a ranch truck, a little beat) so start asking him questions about what he does to his truck, what add on he has, etc etc. He's got NOTHING!! No chip, no coolant filter, no oil bypass, no after market air cleaner, no add on tranny cooler, no oil proof boots for the turbo, no 208 degree thermostat, no after market HPOP or fuel system additions. Just Nothing. Further more he doesn't know a huge amount about all this stuff I was asking him, just kind of as blank stare. I looked under the hood and sure enough, bone stock. He takes it in to his local shop on occasion. He does do frequent oil changes. He's had the tranny flushed twice and the coolant system flushed once. He's had to replace an alternator and one thermostat. He hasn't had transmission trouble. He has the original water pump (how can that be?), he's replaced some ball joints. He does a moderate amount of towing.
Kind of takes a little wind out of plans for additional mods to my truck but I'll be doing them anyway ......because I think, like many tings in life, you think your reasons are rational and logic based but psychology plays a huge part :icon_wink:. --For whatever reason I get enjoyment out of it and figure I'll be keeping the truck forever so what the heck. Maybe more psychology than reason, eh?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.