The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Stricko from down in Australia again. I had a truck brought in to the shop today, blowing clouds of white smoke which turned out to be unburnt diesel. I'm suspecting either a faulty reman injector or possibly an internal fault. However after disconnecting the LHS (your drivers side) rocker cover and then reconnecting the 42 pin connector I'm now getting no start.
ICP has no 5V reference voltage, so I am assuming this is the problem. I have checked all fuses with everything checking out ok. I can also still communicate with the PCM as I am still able to retrieve fault codes and view live data. Only fault code stored is P1280 which is ICP out of range LOW.
When cranking the truck the ICP (V) is flatline with the occasional jump to 0.1v. KOEO I have 0V at the ICP and 15%DC for the IPR. Is there anything controlling the PCM output voltage to the ICP or have I got a damaged wire somewhere between the PCM and ICP?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ICP voltage problem solved, found a bent pin in the 42 pin connector. Now to find out which injector is filling a cylinder with diesel

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Unburned diesel is typically black where oil is typically white... I'd suspect a bad injector oring. If you can't get a contribution test then you can try running the truck with the valve covers off and unplug the injectors one at a time to see if one clears it up. That or go ahead and pull them and inspect the orings and re-oring all of them. My guess is you'll find at least one broken or pinched.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Unburned diesel is typically black where oil is typically white... I'd suspect a bad injector oring. If you can't get a contribution test then you can try running the truck with the valve covers off and unplug the injectors one at a time to see if one clears it up. That or go ahead and pull them and inspect the orings and re-oring all of them. My guess is you'll find at least one broken or pinched.
This is not entirely true.

Unburned diesel is white. Go disconnect your glow plug relay on a cold morning and crank the truck. You will see white smoke coming from your exhaust.

The black smoke you see is partially burned diesel, which comes from an improper air to fuel ratio. Put a plastic bag over your air filter and start the truck up. You will see black smoke from the exhaust.

Oil normally burns a blue/grayish color.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good point. I think I was still on my first cup of coffee when I typed that...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Sounds like the OP needs a new GP relay...

·
Registered
527 Posts
OP said truck blows white smoke running. GP only cures that for first 2 minutes or so. So his question is figuring out which injector is dumping fuel. Is there a way to test this for backyard mechanic?

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Get 5 volts ref back
Check hearing harness as it goes over to connect to engine and look where it lays on valve cover and gets chaffed. Injection of fuel at wrong pressure from command ( icp..icp circuitry ) or mechanical like a failed injector oring.
BTW glow plug smoke if all else is ok will clear in few minutes after start up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts