The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 F250 with a 7.3L TD Navistar runs fine other then a intermitted squeak between 1000 rpm through to say 1800 rpm basically on the up and back on the down , so I decided to change the belt and tensioner and idlers .. As it turns out the new belt is longer then the one on the truck yet it's supposedly for a 7.3 it's a Motorcraft JK81195 and the old belt on the truck has no identification at all on it but it's definitely shorter by a touch ..
The Motorcraft one will go on with tensioner tight and then it sit's there loose , so I tried the shim hack under alternator with washers for tension about 3 to 4 mils which tightens it but not enough as the power steer and compressor squeal hard so I'll add some more height to it and see get it tighter as there is about 3 quarters of an inch play in the belt , where the old belt I have to have the tensioner loose to get it on and it's plenty tight when tensioned ...The Motorcraft belt doesn't seem to have as pronounced v's on it as the old one has ...
Question is what belt could the old one be ? And to make the new belt work should I be using a tensioner with a Longer Arm ? Personally I would prefer the correct belt ..
The new belt is on the left in place , the other is the old belt you see the old one has more pronounced V's in it but that might be because it's older , the new belt's pretty hard on the flat side ...
Any input would be much appreciated .. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
26,028 Posts
The Superduty trucks have two belt lengths, possibly the OBS trucks do as well. Did you take the old belt in to check or did you just order one? Autonation Ford White Bear Lake shows the belt for your truck as discontinued, but you might be able to get the number F5TZ-8678-E crossed at a local parts place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the response mate .. The bloke I bought it off is a long time Ftruck mechanic basically he said that's the right belt for that motor .. So from there today I packed about 10 mls of washers under the alternator and tightened the tensioner and now there is not a noise . As the mechanic said to me it might an after market Alternator or Air Compressor and belt ... All's good for now it seems ..Cheers

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
I think mine is either a Gatorback or Continental 4081190. You could also try an 1190K which should be a little shorter. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts