The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off I want to start and say that this is not an obvious problem that comes with these trucks because I have been chasing this oil problem since I got the truck and still haven't got it under control.
So background I have replaced alot of o rings including the injectors, hpop, turbo pedestal, 1 out of 4 of the oil rail plugs and the ccv. Also the rear main seal has been replaced, and the passenger valve cover gasket.
I don't have any smoke or any real noticeable puddles. In the. Beginning it was 2qts per 100 miles, then it went to 1qt per 100 miles after I replaced the one oil rail plug, but this week has changed substantially, all 3 days I drove 250 miles each day, but Monday I only lost a half a qt, Tuesday I lost 1.5 qt, today I lost 2.5 qts.

Does anybody know of anything else that could possible be causing this kind of behavior? I think I've covered all the usual suspects for oil leaks on thai motor and after this week I'm more than lost on what is happening.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's an awful lot of oil loss to not have any puddles!
Maybe leave it idling on concrete for a while and see if something shows up.
Any oil in the coolant? What about the tail pipe? Clean the engine really well, especially the valley and monitor for the fresh oil spots.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Another place to check is the dipstick adapter at the pan. When mine started leaking I lost a lot of oil fast but only when running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok went back into some Ro'S and found a real doozy check both sides of the turbo unhook the compressor side
and with a flashlight look for a light oil mist if possible do the same on driven side. May not be enough to see smoke especially with under truck exhaust. If all else fails have some body push it too 1800 when warm and stand outside and look. One last check VERY unsafe if an auto lock brakes and load engine may then smoke. Only ask somebody with good sense to help with this one you might run over the dog otherwise.
crazyherman

·
Premium Member
15,103 Posts
If it were an external leak, the EPA would be crawling all over you by now. That leaves an internal leak. Assuming your injector o-ring replacement went well (didn't roll or tear an o-ring) and your tailpipe isn't dripping (turbo) then I would bet you have an internal injector issue. There are cases where oil can be pumped through the injector from the oil side to the fuel side. I would suggest pulling them and having them bench tested at Full Force Diesel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you replace your rear main seal (pinion seal) yourself, or take it in?? Wondering what it is going to cost me to have mine replaced??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No puddles but the rear side of my motor is wet but not soaking wet to tell where or what is leaking but I think the crank case vent is responsible for that, the dipstick adaptor leaks (just a small trail down the oil pan) but it's not enough to be the problem, no oil in my coolant, I've been having problems with the ccv here lately letting misted oil get by the old o rings so I've replaced them, but I still get the same amount of oil gone every night. it cost me 350 to have the rear main put in, and I've got it scheduled to be taking in next Thursday to get looked at again, at this point I'm thinking possibly something is wrong with another injector, I replaced 1 already which got rid of my white smoke but the guy that is going to look at next week said that it's possible for the oil to get into the injector somehow and then it is sprayed atomized into the cylinder and it won't smoke because it is so fine at the point.

So I believe that between the injectors, crank case vent, and the turbo that is where my problem lies but I haven't narrowed it down yet. I'm still trying to test theory's until I take it in next week, also the leak is now steady at 1 qt per 100 miles again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think we may have a winner...
You said the CCV is leaking a lot of oil; how much blowby do you have? How oily is the intake side of the turbo? Might be time for a compression test. Low compression caused by worn rings would cause excessive blowby which in turn could be blowing your oil right back into your intake and burning it! Combine that with your other minor external leaks...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do get oil on the intake side of my turbo and in the intercooler, I haven't done a compression test yet but I don't think I have blowby from what I've read and what my dad told me and he looked at and said if it was puffing like a train then you've got blowby and need new rings but mine is a sold stream and doesn't bounce the oil cap off it just vibrates it till it can let some of the pressure go by the lid and then the lid will rest there, but my CCV and intake is has some oil in it so I guess to be sure it sounds like it needs a compression test?

·
Premium Member
15,103 Posts
I wouldn't worry with that blowby pattern. Sounds normal. We all have oily boots. That's Ford's leaky silicone boots. Dieselsite has an upgrade if that bothers you but it's not going to affect oil loss. I'm betting on an injector.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sounds like your blowby is probably normal, and 'some' oil is to be expected in the intake, but excessive or actual oilnot just 'oily' indicates a problem. Doing a compression test is still a good idea if for nothing else just so that you know where you stand!
Sounds like you likely have a bad injector dumping oil into a cylinder. but you definitely have some more chasing to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts