The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a 01 f250 7.3 with 147k miles, guy said it has a hard time starting when cold. Starts fine after its warm, Fires up no problem if plugged into Block Heater for more than 2 hours. Im in California at night its about 45* lately, so not too cold..

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so i checked the usual suspects..

Found 2 bad glow plugs, swapped all glow plugs with new Motorcrafts, just so I know they are all good.

Installed new Under Cover Valve Cover/wire gaskets at same time.

Checked GPR, found it to be bad too was reading 12.4 on 1 post and 11.5 on other side, too big of a difference to I swapped it with a new one.

Fresh oil change

Went to start it this morning..about 65 * out....still wont start.. white smoke...

So I have a couple questions...Whats next to look at?

The batteries read 12.4, but with the new GPR in the " wait to start" position,
Im getting 11.9v at both sides of GPR Is that normal, or should I be getting a higher reading.. Maybe Ill put an extra charge on batteries to double check..

If batteries and starter text fine...Whats next to test??

·
Registered
527 Posts
White smoke means shes getting fuel. Needs 500 rpms to fire up. Thats where I would be looking. Or possibly do a compression test.

·
Super Moderator
26,603 Posts
Get the batteries load tested (separately). Just the glow plugs pulling them down to 11.9V probably means the starter is pulling the voltage down even further. You might start with checking the battery cables for corrosion at the posts. They need to be nice and clean for the current to get thru to the starter and keep it spinning fast enough to start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts