The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tow RV with our 2011 F250, and the small 26 gal does not give good range. So added a 45 gal auxiliary fuel tank in the bed. Have a gravity fuel transfer setup of solenoid valve and a fuel/water separator filter. Fuel may sit in the aux tank for a time. I do treat fuel with Ford diesel PM-22-A additive, in both tanks depending which gettin the fill ups.
My concern is the fuel in the aux tank may set, be dormant for a period of time. Not driving truck much these days. So concern is fuel microbicide in the tank. I do take visual fuel samples of the aux fuel, taking samples from a filter bowl drain port. So far not seen evidence of contaminates, like debris or water. The filter is at a low point in the fuel transfer plumbing, hence any water present will seek this low point.

And I might add the fuel transfer goes into the OEM main fuel tank, so the Ford fuel filtration system not disturbed. And I do scheduled regular Ford fuel filter changes at the dealer.

looking for comments, suggestions if anyone doing similar.

So my question to some, if any aware of a off the counter fuel cleaning solution, and use it regularly. I’ve read where some use Power Service Kleen or Kleer. But concern if OK or any issue with Ford diesel.

Thanis

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
As long as you watch the filter and everything looks OK I wouldn't worry about it. The fungus usually starts with moisture in the fuel or condensation in the tank.

There are fungicide's out there that you can purchase for your piece of mind but from what I remember they are fairly costly, but they do work.

Just do a search on "diesel fuel fungicide" and you will come up with a lot of sources to purchase it from

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
Son is certified diesel mechanic, maintenance mgr for Republic Waste, and they have the diesel trucks. Lots.
He said they use Tank Tonic by Check Mark. Expensive stuff he says. But I will not be able to buy it. Sold, shipped by door to door sales people, he says.
I’m sure can get the pPower Service products locally. But want to ensure no issues with Ford, as picky as they are.

I did use a Opto-lube equal additive few times, but not readily available locally. Online order. But I switched to Ford PM-22 stuff cause I get credits from dealer each time I have truck serviced there. Free bottle most times.

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
If Forddoctor doesn't chime in here here is what I would do.

The next time that you are at your dealer causally talk to one of the parts guys and ask them what he recommends. And if he ask you if you have a problem I would say no but a friend had a bad fill up of fuel that had water in it and you would like to know what you could use if you had the same problem that the other guy said.

I wouldn't say anything about a transfer tank in the bed.

The Power Service biocide used to be sold at Walmart but I have no idea about now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If Forddoctor doesn't chime in here here is what I would do.

The next time that you are at your dealer causally talk to one of the parts guys and ask them what he recommends. And if he ask you if you have a problem I would say no but a friend had a bad fill up of fuel that had water in it and you would like to know what you could use if you had the same problem that the other guy said.

I wouldn't say anything about a transfer tank in the bed.

The Power Service biocide used to be sold at Walmart but I have no idea about now.

Thanks Bugman. I am seeing Power Service product called Clear-Diesel Fuel & Tank Cleaner may be available at Auto Zone parts store. Might give that a try. I am not sure what the situation is inside my aux tank. Changed the diesel water separator filter this morning, not much debris nor water seen. I drained approx 1/2 gallon, then collected in a clear cup. Nothing unusual here.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a bottle of Power Service Clear Diesel. Walmart. Plan to try that, see if any gunk comes out from, in the aux tank. And maybe keep it clean, and fuel fresh. I don’t normally keep fuel in the tank, if any, maybe < 8-10 gals.

Use to own airplanes, and recommended to keep tanks near full to prevent water accumulation, from tank sweats. Had to drain fuel from a gasolator liquid trap before each flight. Plane has 3 of them, 1 at each L n R tank, and at lowest point below engine under carburetor. Most times never saw water when drained.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
You will have a greater chance of microbial issues if you live in a State that allows a B5 mix, or any Bio-Diesel blend.

Power Service makes great products and Farm Supplies usually have a selection.

I can’t see why it would void a warranty; but you are wise to confirm.

Reactions: DENNY

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Arctic.
Yes, I concur using any fuel conditioner to prevent “bugs” in fuel should be welcomed by Ford, to the ensure clean fuel supply to injector pump and injectors.

I’ll give the Power Service Clean Diesel product a shot, see how that works. Currently I have about 4 gal of fuel in the aux tank. I plan to get as much as I can out, put maybe 20 gals of fresh fuel, adding the PS Clean fluid, then monitor the filter bowl, which is a clear see thru plastic, and do sporadic drain, sample checks in a separate clear bowl. The concern is after treatment, what junk may be lingering. PS Clean Diesel brags the product is also a fuel conditioner, keep the fuel fresh as it ages.

I have extra Racor R13P water separation filters if any visible severe contamination pops up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts