The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I noticed recently that I am making small puddles where ever I park :( I think I found the leak but I have no idea what I am looking at. I called a shop near by and tried to describe it and they said that it sounded like a fuel filter. however after searching google, and youtube I am a bit unsure that this thing is a fuel filter. sorry for the bad positioning of the photo, but the view is from the driver side looking towards the passenger front tire. I was pretty sure the fuel filter is next to the drain switch under the drivers door, and this appears to be more under the tranny pan, by the exaust, two lines lead in, one looks like it wraps around the top side of the transmission, and hard to see where the other comes from, and two lead out, one kind of looks like it goes in to the transmission case, the other leads up front.

I am not very mechanically inclined hope my descriptions help :)

Anyone have any idea what this thing is?

oh and Its a 2008 Ford F350, I know there are a lot of after market upgrades done to it, but honestly I cant recall what has been done, I would have to find the papers for it.

Thanks a ton !

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
What doe it smell like? Diesel fuel as a distinct smell.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The canister thing is the transmission filter, Can't tell if it's actually leaking from there without closer examination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for getting back to me, I was able to finally crawl under the truck fully today, I didnt have it up on a jack or anything just did a quick look at lunch time at work. It does not smell like diesel fuel, I did managed to follow the lines a bit better, and I think it definitely is transmission related, I have also confirmed that one of the aftermarket upgrades was a bigger transmission. My mechanic friend is coming over tomorrow to have a look so hopefully it will be easily fixable. if it not a filter I might be something to do with cooling the transmission fluid? I tried to see the colour of the fluid, but anywhere I touch my hands get a bit greasy, and I probably couldnt tell any way cause I am colour blind lmao :)

As for where the leak is coming from it was pretty hard to tell, the canister was wet mostly along the bottom, it might just need to be tightened, then again I have owned the truck 2 years and I do not recall ever changing that filter, so maybe its just time?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Just wait until you find out how much that filter costs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here's the best price I've found...

Link to Filter

And then you need the right tool. Anyone have a link to it?

·
Registered
484 Posts
The threaded fittings leak very easily and I have to tighten them up really well when installing new filter. Lube the threads before you tighten it up and you'll be fine. Look again after you install and tighten some more if needed. I mean they really have to be cranked on to seal well. I doubt the tranny lines are more than 10psi so it doesn't take much to seal them. Why the difficult threaded fittings is beyond me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are they all threaded? I thought a couple were the push-in type.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts