The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tow our camper, I notice that the IAT (Intake Air Temp) usually hang out around 50 degrees more than the ambient air temp. So, when it was 90 degrees last weekend and I was towing on the highway around 65mph…the IAT’s were hovering around 140 degrees. That sure seems hot to me, but maybe that’s normal? I know that the intake air gets heated up when it gets compressed by the turbo, but I thought that running the intake air through the intercooler was supposed to cool it down quite a bit?

Any way to reduce IAT temps? Or is that not something that really needs to be a concern?

Just wondering. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,443 Posts
On the 7.3, the IAT sensor is in the airbox, so that would be before turbo. On our trucks, there is a fenderwell mod where you can drill a hole in the side of the airbox and allow cooler air to enter. Also one for the front of the airbox through the light panel. It's called the Zoodad mod. Found a youtube video of someone doing it to a 6.0

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that actually work? Has anyone actually seen an reduction in IAT's from doing that Zoodad mod?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
You can check to see if you have any blockage in front of your intercooler or dirty fins. Higher then ambient air temps kind of go hand in hand with a turbocharged engine. You still have a very dense air mixture due to the amount of boost you are making. A interesting road to pursue but I don't know what the payback in performance would be.
DENNYU

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
140* isn't anything to worry about. When I was in OK I had temps higher than that. Yes, my truck was modded a tad more than yours at that time to include a Spearco intercooler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts