The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO.... i know i have a diesel truck and There So Much i Can do to get more MPG.

when i got the truck i was able to do a bit more than 550KM (340 miles) with a tank. now I have hard time to get 500km (310 miles).

I know I have big tire but also install lower gear to get back to OEM spec. in the near future I will get the hydra chip and turbo back dual stack kit but for now im looking for some little stuff I can do.

I cleaned the EBP sensor tube and sensor today and plan to remove the intake next week to polish the inside.....

any suggestions

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
even though you changed the gearing to account for bigger tires it doesnt fix heavier tires and more wind resistance.

what size tires did you get for that gearing? 37" or 40" inch tires?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hes running 37" tires. Big toys burn more fuel. I am trying to drive slower right now. I hate being passed but gained 3 mpg by keeping her @2k. With my 410 gears thats a blazing fast 63 mph.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I picked up a couple gallons by using the Napa Echlin CPS. Check out the thread,"CPS Search and Effort Pay Off".
I also polished my compressor manifold. AE Giotto has a fix in it where it now always you to monitor MAT. It would be neat to get a prepolishing baseline. You would need to record MAT but boost and ambient temps. Just thinking it will be cool, no pun intended. OK it was intended. Cleaning the EBP tube for fuel economy is misinformation. The PCM senses load thru the MAP and makes fueling corrections from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
If MAP tells PCM load how does that adjust fueling? What should MAP read?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
even though you changed the gearing to account for bigger tires it doesnt fix heavier tires and more wind resistance.

what size tires did you get for that gearing? 37" or 40" inch tires?

yes I'm running 37''

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a couple gallons by using the Napa Echlin CPS. Check out the thread,"CPS Search and Effort Pay Off".
I also polished my compressor manifold. AE Giotto has a fix in it where it now always you to monitor MAT. It would be neat to get a prepolishing baseline. You would need to record MAT but boost and ambient temps. Just thinking it will be cool, no pun intended. OK it was intended. Cleaning the EBP tube for fuel economy is misinformation. The PCM senses load thru the MAP and makes fueling corrections from there.
Thanks this is great info, this is what im looking for.

I will polish the compressor manifold this weekend or next week. I keep reading on CPS there is so many different opinions than I'm still don't know witch one I'm gona go with, I need to keep reading on it. but never heard of AE Giotto..... what is it and what it does????

·
Registered
527 Posts
AE is a computer program for your laptop that will read our pcm and monitor all the things its doing. Wonderful diagnostic tool so ive heard

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
never heard of it.... how much it cost? is it connected to the OBDII? where can I buy it?

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Yes AE Giotto is connected through the OBD port , it's a wonderful tool .
You can buy it from here for under $360.00 with the Ford enhanced bundle.

AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Also as dieselnick has mentioned try the echlin's cps with chokes on your wiper and cps wiring harness you'll get some fuel savings.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I use Riffraff a lots and never saw this AE bundle, it will go on my "NEED TO BUY" list. Look like lost of people love this CPS from NAPA. what is the part number of this and how much it worth?

I also read the Hutch mod and TC lockup will make a difference.....

I also forgot to mention, I'm planning to take the truck with the trailer (26ft travel trailer) across country. the plan is to leave British Colombia (Canada) in September, drive to Quebec, stay a couple month and come back across USA with the family. So if I do some little stuff witch make the truck gain 1MPG, I will make a difference over 6K or 7k miles and I will be happy

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
The part # is ECHCSS1103

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Hi, the Napa Echlin model and it's part number are in my thread," cps search and effort pay off". Others here have choking like I did with other CPSs they got good numbers on bit the wipers would kill it. I used the Echlin in my write up. I have not tried the Oriely, Standard or BWD( is that Borg Warner?). I will never use an original black for safety reasons.
I have used tons of Greyson and International Blues. I have never seen one pass a contribution test let alone the perdel numbers I'm seeing with the Echlin. This has been mine and others experience.
Polishing intake: At time AE did not have MAT as a PID supported. So I could never get a baseline before hand. It took my 6months to get AE to add MAT and the left front wheel abs sensor. Giotto was released with those two fixes.
Places are still selling plain Jane AE... Don't buy it. It's not complete. Make sure you buy AE Giotto!
So the whole project was done with no baselines. You may not see any benefit but I believe it is there. I ran it by a Locheed engineer who after ten minutes speaking outer space levels above my head, snapped his fingers and said, " Yes Nick, do it, with a chuckle.
I also did stainless up pipes triple header wrap with an aluminized heat wrap over that.
I also upgraded the turbo and insulated it as well. The result along with the Echlin is a truck more powerful, way smoother, fuel efficient, way quicker to build instant power( the up pipe and turbo insulate kit does exactly what it says about eliminating turbo lag), gets up into boost in just a few feet with the plow down with no room to build momentum and you have to line up with no room to get a head start before you have to bulldoze into a drive in a three foot storm AND the road plows have pushed one lane of the roads salt wet heavy snow. It turned out silky smooth with instant power. I down loaded the DB decibel app after the fact as well, so no baseline there either but with no additional inside cab insulating but one additional layer of aluminized heat shield on firewall and the baby ended up only being thre decibles louder than a 6.7 both at idle. I'm at 56 average and the 6.7 averages 53.
The spiky line showing real time sounds looks almost as fuzzy as the 6.7.
So it's a lot of stuff that came together that created that end result, oh with just a fuel cross over and Superchips Flaspaq. I forgot those because they were installed first. But your in a good place to be able to get the right tools to be able to get baselines before hand.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will definitely do the CPS and dieselnick the info on the CPS is awesome thanks for that. I would like to get more info about "triple header wrap with an aluminized heat wrap over that".

I don't really understand?????

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Go to XDP, They carry a turbo insulate kit. It reduces or eliminates your turbo lag by creating more thermal retention and expansion in the up pipes and exhaust turbine. It totally eliminated mine when I combined it with my turbo upgrade. That thread is,"Barder's 360, XDP billet wheel and Applied Performance actuator"
The wrapping can be found in,"BD stainless up pipes all wrapped up"
Getting your cetane level right will also go along way depending on how bad the diesel is where you live. Ours is horrible, pumps that do have stickers say 40, we need fifty to run optimally. I like Amzoil straight cetane booster with Stanadyne as well for lubrication and water demulsifying qualities. Big and under inflated tires hurt you. The tread pattern and rubber compound also plays into it. Most tire manufacturers now have a fuel rating for different models.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just have NAPA over the phone, I will pick up that CPS this after noon and install it tomorrow.

what do you guy's think about TC lockup?????

would I save a bit on fuel when pulling the 26' travel trailer on the highway or will it damage the trany when pulling a big weight? like I said I will be travelling over 10 000miles this summer.....

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go to XDP, They carry a turbo insulate kit. It reduces or eliminates your turbo lag by creating more thermal retention and expansion in the up pipes and exhaust turbine. It totally eliminated mine when I combined it with my turbo upgrade. That thread is,"Barder's 360, XDP billet wheel and Applied Performance actuator"
The wrapping can be found in,"BD stainless up pipes all wrapped up"
Getting your cetane level right will also go along way depending on how bad the diesel is where you live. Ours is horrible, pumps that do have stickers say 40, we need fifty to run optimally. I like Amzoil straight cetane booster with Stanadyne as well for lubrication and water demulsifying qualities. Big and under inflated tires hurt you. The tread pattern and rubber compound also plays into it. Most tire manufacturers now have a fuel rating for different models.
Thanks again for all this info. Really appreciated. I will read your tread and I look on XDP yesterday and I saw one insulation turbo kit for 70$ or 100$... is it gana be enough or I really need the 250$ one?????

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
this morning I install my polished compressor manifold and the new CPS from NAPA, the one on the truck look exactly like the NAPA one except it has a purple seal instead of black and the number on top was different.

I planning go buy the chock this afternoon to install around the wiring and I decide to test it with water and wiper doing.... the truck never stop or make any difference in sound during 20 min of spraying water and changing the speed of the wiper, shut off and restart with no problem.... would you still recommend to install those chock ??????

·
Registered
309 Posts
What size tank do you have? I usually get 750-780/tank. Also I do not see the upgraded trans cooler in your sig. Worthy upgrade especially when towing

1 - 20 of 73 Posts